Android

Brandon Gresham

Mar 16, 2012, 6:53:40 PM3/16/12
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone started a droid app for this project yet?

I'm a Java guy... so I could help out on that project; but I might not be the most appropriate guy to START the app, never actually done droid stuff.

James Turk

Mar 16, 2012, 10:52:13 PM3/16/12
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brandon,

We haven't started one yet, but it is something we are eager to do. I
agree that having you start one if you haven't done droid stuff might
not yield the most usable product and I'd hate to see any wasted
effort so perhaps we can work to redirect your Java experience in a
different direction.

One idea might be to write some lightweight bindings to our API,
that'd be beneficial for lots of people and might eventually be
incorporated into the Android app as well.

We'll hopefully be figuring out a path forward on the Android app in
the future, and when we do it'll be open source and your contributions
would be more than welcome.

-James

Brandon Gresham

Mar 17, 2012, 12:32:28 AM3/17/12
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
James,  that's a great idea.  I'll take a look at the existing API and see if I can make it out well enough to put something together.  Since I'm brand-new to the project and haven't played with any of it at all yet, probably take a bit to familiarize myself with it.  I'll run my thoughts past you guys here before I go putting too much actual code down.

On Friday, March 16, 2012 8:52:13 PM UTC-6, James Turk wrote:
Hi Brandon,

We haven't started one yet, but it is something we are eager to do.  I
agree that having you start one if you haven't done droid stuff might
not yield the most usable product and I'd hate to see any wasted
effort so perhaps we can work to redirect your Java experience in a
different direction.

One idea might be to write some lightweight bindings to our API,
that'd be beneficial for lots of people and might eventually be
incorporated into the Android app as well.

We'll hopefully be figuring out a path forward on the Android app in
the future, and when we do it'll be open source and your contributions
would be more than welcome.

-James

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Brandon Gresham
<bra...@thegreshams.net> wrote:
> Has anyone started a droid app for this project yet?
>
> I'm a Java guy... so I could help out on that project; but I might not be
> the most appropriate guy to START the app, never actually done droid stuff.

Eric Mill

Mar 17, 2012, 11:09:56 AM3/17/12
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
If you're looking for a model of a Java API client, that I've used in our Android app around Congress, I can mostly recommend the approach I've taken here:

A model, which defines the fields and any helpful utility methods on that model, but has nothing to do with the remote API:

A service for the model, that defines how to parse each field from JSON:

And a class that helps with all the particulars across that API - URL construction, date formats, user agent, api key, etc.:

I separated the model from the service because in some cases, like legislators, it may be populated from one of two different APIs. But even without that requirement, it ends up being a pretty clean approach.

The main thing I might do differently if I did it over again might be to use GSON or some other library that maps Java objects to JSON objects automatically, without the manual field parsing. But I might not - JSON isn't the same as Java, and for complicated nested objects it may be more trouble than it's worth.

-- Eric

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/fifty-state-project/-/RC0KiuNGVtEJ.

Brandon Gresham

Mar 17, 2012, 4:25:02 PM3/17/12
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
Eric,  thank you so much for the detailed feedback!

I haven't looked at your code yet (but I will!) -- but it looks like your approach is roughly the approach I had in mind too.  Pretty big fan of keeping the model separate from the service/controller.  And I thought of going with some sort of JSON-mapper but like you, I have also found that sometimes it's a little overkill… I have a project at work right now that I chose to manually map a bunch of XML and a few guys at work think I'm weird but in some ways it just feels better… like I have more control over what happens and when; I'll still have to consider which approach I take with this one, as I like the mapping-route too.

Thank you again -- I'll be sure to post back once I start settling on design decisions and/or posting actual code up!

annerajb

Mar 17, 2012, 4:38:59 PM3/17/12
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I can help on android development since I already work on it for a year. Let me know how can I help. I think the hardest part is gonna be UI.

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/fifty-state-project?hl=en.

NateV

Apr 4, 2012, 3:11:50 PM4/4/12
to Open State Project
Hi,
I've been working on an android app for the Pennsylvania
legislature as well, so I'd be interested in helping an android
development project.

-Nate

On Mar 17, 4:38 pm, annerajb <anne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I can help on android development since I already work on it for a year.
> Let me know how can I help. I think the hardest part is gonna be UI.
>
> On Saturday, March 17, 2012 4:25:02 PM UTC-4, Brandon Gresham wrote:
>
> > Eric,  thank you so much for the detailed feedback!
>
> > I haven't looked at your code yet (but I will!) -- but it looks like your
> > approach is roughly the approach I had in mind too.  Pretty big fan of
> > keeping the model separate from the service/controller.  And I thought of
> > going with some sort of JSON-mapper but like you, I have also found that
> > sometimes it's a little overkill… I have a project at work right now that I
> > chose to manually map a bunch of XML and a few guys at work think I'm weird
> > but in some ways it just feels better… like I have more control over what
> > happens and when; I'll still have to consider which approach I take with
> > this one, as I like the mapping-route too.
>
> > Thank you again -- I'll be sure to post back once I start settling on
> > design decisions and/or posting actual code up!
>
> > On Mar 17, 2012, at 9:09 AM, Eric Mill wrote:
>
> > If you're looking for a model of a Java API client, that I've used in our
> > Android app around Congress, I can mostly recommend the approach I've taken
> > here:
>
> >https://github.com/sunlightlabs/congress/tree/master/src/com/sunlight...
>
> > It's separated into three kinds of files -
>
> > A model, which defines the fields and any helpful utility methods on that
> > model, but has nothing to do with the remote API:
>
> >https://github.com/sunlightlabs/congress/blob/master/src/com/sunlight...
>
> > A service for the model, that defines how to parse each field from JSON:
>
> >https://github.com/sunlightlabs/congress/blob/master/src/com/sunlight...
>
> > And a class that helps with all the particulars across that API - URL
> > construction, date formats, user agent, api key, etc.:
>
> >https://github.com/sunlightlabs/congress/blob/master/src/com/sunlight...
>
> > I separated the model from the service because in some cases, like
> > legislators, it may be populated from one of two different APIs. But even
> > without that requirement, it ends up being a pretty clean approach.
>
> > The main thing I might do differently if I did it over again might be to
> > use GSON <http://code.google.com/p/google-gson/> or some other library
> > that maps Java objects to JSON objects automatically, without the manual
> > field parsing. But I might not - JSON isn't the same as Java, and for
> > complicated nested objects it may be more trouble than it's worth.
>
> > -- Eric
>
> > On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 12:32 AM, Brandon Gresham <bran...@thegreshams.net
>
> >> --
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/fifty-state-project?hl=en.
>
> > --
> > Developer | sunlightfoundation.com

annerajb

Jun 22, 2012, 9:08:52 PM6/22/12
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Has anybody started if not ill start with a coworker of mine this monday on it.
And post the github repo in here once we have it up.

Brandon Gresham

Jun 22, 2012, 10:11:00 PM6/22/12
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
Be sure to take a look at my thin Java wrapper I made.  It's not conventional-Java as I catered it towards the OpenStates community that typically use Python.  Regardless, I think you'll find it easy enough to use.

annerajb

Jun 23, 2012, 3:23:32 PM6/23/12
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
Yeah look forward for pull request when we start working on it if we find anything that can be improve/needs fixing.
Thanks

Brandon Gresham

Jun 24, 2012, 1:07:11 AM6/24/12
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
Sweet.  Looking forward to it; hoping it makes life easier for you but holler if it's not!  :)

Asher S

Jan 22, 2014, 3:01:09 AM1/22/14
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,
I've been using the Congress app and feel an Open States Android app is really missing. Has there been any further development? Thank you!

James Turk

Jan 22, 2014, 11:50:32 AM1/22/14
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
I can say that it is definitely something we want to have (the entire core team here uses Android in fact) but we have no plans/timeline to announce right now.