AL: Past sessions

Daniel Roberts

Oct 5, 2015, 11:00:42 PM10/5/15
to Open State Project
Alabama has bill and vote information back to 1998 that can be scraped. It looks like those sessions can simply have their metadata be added. However, I can't find a good source for legislator information going back that far.

For vote counts, the OS API shows the leg_id, but ./al/bills.py doesn't seem to grab that info. Is this done as a post-process to the database?

Daniel Roberts

Oct 6, 2015, 6:12:51 PM10/6/15
to Open State Project
Actually, it looks like I can get a list of past members, at least their last names (and distinguishing initials if needed). Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a good way to tell if they "match" across sessions. I can do this manually with relative ease, although it might be worth waiting to find out if the IT office in the legislature plans on adding more information about past sessions in the future.