Newbie Help: Changing Feedburner From Type Pad To Wordpress

Joel Cohen

Jul 19, 2015, 7:43:28 AM7/19/15
to feeds-and-...@googlegroups.com
I currently have a feedburner feed on a TypePad Blog and have now converted to a WordPress self-hosted platform.

How do I redirect the current feedburner feed on Typepa  along with the email subscriptions to the W/P blog?

Many thanks,

Joel

###

Matti nescio

Jul 19, 2015, 9:31:54 AM7/19/15
to feeds-and-...@googlegroups.com
Update the Original Feed URL in your Feedburner Feed Details.
That does it for the email subscribers.

For the feed subscribers:  are your typepad feed URLs set to redirect
to feedburner, or did you alter your typepad feed autodiscovery element
to point directly to feedburner ?
Pretty much in either case, you should (continue to) redirect any typepad
feed URLs to the Feedburner feed - or to a wordpress feed URL,
which you can then choose to redirect to feedburner.

Joel Cohen

Jul 19, 2015, 9:36:10 AM7/19/15
to feeds-and-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your quick reply.

1. I have not done anything yet and not sure what the next steps are.
2. Not sure where the redirect steps are located.

Thanks,
Joel

On Sunday, July 19, 2015 at 9:31:54 AM UTC-4, Matti nescio wrote:
Update the Original Feed URL in your Feedburner Feed Details.
That does it for the email subscribers.

1. For the feed subscribers:  are your typepad feed URLs set to redirect

Matti nescio

Jul 19, 2015, 5:07:30 PM7/19/15
to feeds-and-...@googlegroups.com
Would really need to know the .typepad address and what the wordpress address is (going to be)
to see how it is currently set up, and to be able to point you to the right direction.

Joel Cohen

Jul 19, 2015, 5:16:26 PM7/19/15
to feeds-and-...@googlegroups.com
The original typepad URL is www.RestaurantMarketingBlog.com but I've got that now pointed to my new Wordpress blog: www.RestaurantMarketing.com/restaurant-marketing

However, http://jcohen.typepad.com/ will take you to the original.

Thanks,
Joel

Matti nescio

Jul 19, 2015, 5:50:18 PM7/19/15
to feeds-and-...@googlegroups.com
Update the Original Feed of http://feeds.feedburner.com/restaurantmarketingblog/ZbYG .
If it's currently set to http://www.restaurantmarketingblog.com/atom.xml (or rss.xml) , change it to

That'll take care of the email subscribers , even if jcohen.typepad.com and
RestaurantMarketingBlog.com disappear completely.

Since http://www.restaurantmarketingblog.com/atom.xml  redirects to the Feedburner feed
(which you shouldn't change), anyone subscribing to that feed will start getting posts from
the wordpress feed - as long as the typepad blog and domain is kept around.

Technically you could discontinue the blog at restaurantmarketingblog.com
and host something else there (even nothing but a link to the wordpress blog),
as long as you used something that would allow you to continue to redirect
the atom.xml to feedburner.

Having duplicate posts in the typepad and wordpress blog is not a good idea.

Joel Cohen

Jul 19, 2015, 5:57:27 PM7/19/15
to feeds-and-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much; truly appreciated.

And of course the next issue is duplicate posts as you mentioned. I've imported my Typepad posts (over 300 of them) into W/P. Not sure how I get around the duplication issue.

joel

Matti nescio

Jul 19, 2015, 6:18:48 PM7/19/15
On Monday, 20 July 2015 00:57:27 UTC+3, Joel Cohen wrote:
And of course the next issue is duplicate posts as you mentioned. I've imported my Typepad posts (over 300 of them) into W/P. Not sure how I get around the duplication issue.

There's really only a few ways around that:

Joel Cohen

Jul 19, 2015, 6:34:37 PM7/19/15
to feeds-and-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Do I need to redirect every post using .htaccess ??

joel

Matti nescio

Jul 19, 2015, 6:52:24 PM7/19/15
On Monday, 20 July 2015 01:34:37 UTC+3, Joel Cohen wrote:
Thanks. Do I need to redirect every post using .htaccess ??

Typepad doesn't support redirects or htaccess.
So if you wanted to redirect eg.
you'd have to write a rule on wordpress htaccess that checks the referer and redirects based on that.

Might be easier to search for a typepad2wordpress plugin to help creating the redirection - or
ask for one in the wordpress support forums.