Feedburner emails no longer going through to Yahoo email (DMARCS change issue at Yahoo?)

Jim Patterson

Apr 17, 2014, 3:35:39 PM4/17/14
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
Not sure of the exact timing, but my Feedburner emails for several feeds are no longer getting through to any subscribers who have Yahoo email addresses. They are getting through to other email address domains, but NOT Yahoo. Haven't been able to find much on this but the following article appears to explain the issue:

http://www.feedblitz.com/dmarcs-unintended-consequences-why-yahoo-is-bouncing-your-emails/

Can Feedburner do something similar to what FeedBlitz did to circumvent the problem?

Kelly Tupick

Apr 19, 2014, 7:27:55 PM4/19/14
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
If you find a solution, could you share? I am a subscriber and I've lost all my email in yahoo that gets delivered by feedburner. All other blogs I subscribed to I get but not feedburner. Most blogs I see, you have to follow by feedburner so I don't know what else to do. I reset my yahoo email and that still did not help. I click on subscribe with feedburner and it says im already subscribed butif i ask a blogger if I'm on their subscribed list they say no. This is frustrating.

Allison Cohen

Apr 19, 2014, 8:47:40 PM4/19/14
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
Jim, that's interesting. But my problem goes beyond Yahoo. I no longer receive my own emails, and my email address is through Comcast.

Jim Patterson

Apr 21, 2014, 12:43:08 PM4/21/14
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
I realize this issue isn't the cause of all Feedburner problems, BUT it's definitely screwing up mailing lists around the globe right now, and many people have no idea why. Tons of mailing list deliveries are getting bounced and the subscribers have no idea they're not even given the opportunity to review it first. I found numerous other articles on the issue. Here's a couple:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg87153.html
From Yahoo themselves:
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail/SLN24016.html?impressions=true

Bottom line: If a blogger uses Feedburner and the blogger's "From" address on their Feedburner feed is a Yahoo email (ab...@yahoo.com), all emails going out from Feedburner to their subscribers who have Yahoo addresses (and in some instances other ISPs, if they use Yahoo DMARCS authentication) are getting bounced. They don't get through; they don't end up in a SPAM folder; they just get rejected.

Yahoo sees the Blogger's Yahoo email address coming from a 3rd-party mailer (Feedburner), checks it against its own records and says, "Gee, that Yahoo email isn't coming from that person's Yahoo account, so reject it (bounce it) - it must be spam/spoofing; don't let it in for the reader to decide."  A couple of the articles indicate that other ISPs may also use Yahoo's DMARC verification check and they may reject those emails too. Therefore, the problem might result in people with email ISPs other than Yahoo to also reject them as spoofing (since Yahoo indicates that's the case in their check).

Unless Yahoo reverses this setting, the workaround (according to these articles) is this:
1) The Blogger with the Feedburner account (NOT the subscribers - the Blogger), must log in to their Feedburner account.
2) Click on their feed
3) Click "Publicize" then "Communication Preferences"
4) Change the "FROM" email address from using a Yahoo email to some other email - preferably one that is tied to the domain that the feed is for, such as ab...@yourdomain.com.

I've changed mine on all my feeds but haven't tested it yet with a post. I'll be doing so soon.
Jim

Nubiagroup

Apr 21, 2014, 4:33:55 PM4/21/14
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
hello
i face EXACTLY this problem
thanks for your explanations
now i understand what is happening !

Shelley Zurek

Apr 29, 2014, 11:31:21 AM4/29/14
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim,

Anything further?  Did changing work for you?  I have a gmail as my from address and this is happening.  I am going to change it to the one associated with my domain and see if it works but I wondered if the change worked for you?

Rhoda SouthernHospitality

May 1, 2014, 11:38:10 PM5/1/14
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
I have changed the "from" on my Feedburner account to my blog email and it still did not fix this problem.  I'm at my wits end and have no idea what else to do. I get emails every day from subscribers wondering why they aren't getting my emails anymore. What a sad situation with Feedburner!

jmar...@yahoo.com

May 2, 2014, 12:14:17 AM5/2/14
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
At least I now know this isn't my error. My postings haven't been delivered since April 13th. Come on, Feedburner.....GIVE. US. A. SOLUTION!!!

Shelley Zurek

May 5, 2014, 2:02:37 PM5/5/14
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
Jim, any update?  Shelley

jmar...@yahoo.com

May 5, 2014, 2:42:52 PM5/5/14
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
Shelley,

I took Jim's advice and changed my yahoo "From" email to my husbands hotmail and then sent a test post. It worked--all subscribers received the email alert. So apparently the issue does lie with yahoo enhancing their spam guards. If your email is yahoo give it a try--I'm sure you'll get the same results. Been a frustrating three weeks!

~Janet

Shelley Zurek

May 5, 2014, 5:27:05 PM5/5/14
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com

Jim Patterson

May 5, 2014, 10:49:00 PM5/5/14
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shelley and others.

I have three small Feedburner feeds. Each one of them had my Yahoo email address (jlpat...@yahoo.com) as my FROM address on Feedburner. After Yahoo made their DMARC changes on April 8 (or thereabouts) NONE of the blog posts from any of the three feeds got through to my Yahoo subscribers (and maybe others too . . .read on). So, based on recommended corrective actions I found on the web, I set-up domain-based email addresses such as (ad...@blahblahblahblah.com) for each of the three domains, and changed the FROM address in Feedburner to those three domain-based email addresses accordingly. Unortunately two of the three sites only post updates once every 2-3 weeks so I was not able to get a reliable test on those as of this date. But one of them posts semi-regularly and the change I made DID fix the issue for me. Blog posts were now coming through to those previously blocked email deliveries.

That's NOT to say that other Feedburner issues are causing a myriad of problems. Many people have experienced a decrease in subscriber numbers, non-delivery for other email domains, etc.  Here's the bottom line (in my opinion).....

  • Yahoo has decided to go with this strict DMARC policy (as noted in the links above).
  • Other domains (Gmail, Comcast, etc.) may also decide to use the same Yahoo DMARCs rules to likewise reject Yahoo email addresses that are used as the FROM address. [What the hell... If Yahoo tells them that a Yahoo email address isn't coming from Yahoo itself, then why should they accept it? REJECT.]
  • Other domains may (at any time) also decide to implement the same type of DMARC checks. This means that if Comcast implements the same check, any FROM address from COMAST on Feedburner would deem it REJECT. If GMAIL decides to implement the same check, any FROM address using GMAIL on Feedburner would deem it REJECT.  This is an ongoing risk.
  • Google apparently no longer supports Feedburner in any way whatsover. They removed AdSense use on Feedburner, support of any kind, etc. If you're still using Feedburner you're gambling big time.

So..... if you're on Feedburner it might be wise to look for other options:  FeedBlitz, MailChimp, Mad Mimi, others.

Me? I switched my three feeds to FeedBlitz today. I'll see how these work and report back.

Jim

It did work for me; at least for one of feeds that I actually had the blog owner post and test. I changed the Feedburner FROM address from my jlpat...@yahoo.com whichg was causing the issue, to ad...@websitedomainname.com.

However, because of all the rest of the issues people are reporting and the risk of feeds maybe not going out for those other reasons, I switched to FeedBlitz today. I haven't tested the Feedblitz feeds I migrated from Feedburner (3 of them) but I have high hopes for FeedBlitz. Based on what I've read, Google is not supporting Feedburner anymore, so time to change for me.

Good luck.
Jim

Shelley Zurek

May 5, 2014, 11:28:03 PM5/5/14
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
TAKE NOTE ALL:

THANKS JIM!  I blogged about the situation here and switched my feed to Mad Mimi!  It appears all 4600 subscribed emails feeds went out instead of the 1900 that were going out through feedburner.  Thanks for your help.  I quoted your procedure that you recommended in the post: http://stillblondeafteralltheseyears.com/2014/05/switching-feedburner-mad-mimi-dmarc-yahoo-aol-issue/    Your procedure did not work for me as I note in the article but it did work for SOME people I know.  I am so glad to have switched.  Mad Mimi has an awesome chat and great tutorials and just walked me through it all in one day.  My newsletter looks awesome now and I have much more capability!  Whoot!    Shelley , the Chief Blonde at Still Blonde after all these YEARS

Liana Yarckin

May 10, 2014, 12:29:41 PM5/10/14
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this makes sense.  I just recently sent something out from mailchimp and mailchimp notified me to change the from email address to something other than yahoo because of Yahoo's DMARCS.  Thank you for sharing.  I will try.

Liana Yarckin

May 10, 2014, 12:31:06 PM5/10/14
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
Jim's answer below is correct.  Mailchimp notified me to change the from address to something other than yahoo because of yahoo's DMARC.

Between Naps on the Porch dot net

May 13, 2014, 10:40:37 AM5/13/14
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
I was having the same issue, followed the tutorials I found here and it appears to have fixed it. I'm hearing from some of my readers today saying they are now getting my emails again. You'll need a domain email address and this site has tutorials for changing the email address at Mad Mimi, Feedburner and Mailchimp.

http://www.nelliebellie.com/changing-your-domain-e-mail-address/

Liana Yarckin

May 14, 2014, 9:11:52 AM5/14/14
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
This WORKS!!!!!  Yay!  Thanks so much for sharing!
Message has been deleted

Jim Patterson

May 15, 2014, 9:40:31 AM5/15/14
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
I finished migrating my three feeds from Feedburner to FeedBlitz using their migration guide. After numerous posts I can say that everything works correctly!
So far I'm very pleased and feel FeedBlitz has a user-friendly interface and several more options (autoresponder, sending one-off emails to your list - to name two). I've since deactivated my Feedburner feeds. Like Mad Mimi and MailChimp, FeedBlitz is a charged service (first month is free). Review their rates at their site.

Although (for me) changing the FROM address in Feedburner seemed to work for resolving delivery issues, the overriding fact that Google no longer supports Feedburner as well as many posts here describing loss of subscribers (and other issues) - this ultimately drove my decision to abandon Feedburner for another alternative. As I stated in a previous post, if you decide to continue to use Feedburner, expect to get no support from Google and therefore take a huge gamble. Caveat emptor!

Good luck to all.
Jim

Shelley Zurek

May 16, 2014, 8:42:39 AM5/16/14
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
I have had MadMimi now for a week.  I was able to customize my emails so much more than I ever could in feedburner, including static content with each email and then the dynamic content as well.  I know I am paying now but I am really seeing the benefits!  MadMimi is not the only service out there so review all the services to see what fits your needs.

All of these paid services have free options up to a certain number of contacts too!  For example 7 people have signed up under me on MadMimi but only one is paying because Like Mailchimp, MadMimi offers free emails up to 2500 (?) contacts.  I have also heard people mention that feedpress is quite good.  No matter what you choose, I highly agree with Jim Patterson...get off feedburner.  Google doesn't support it anymore and hasn't for about a year.  That coupled with the DMARC situation ensures nothing good with your emails going out via feedburner.

Don't understand what is going on with DMARC?  Read this whole thread and/or consult my article here: http://stillblondeafteralltheseyears.com/2014/05/switching-feedburner-mad-mimi-dmarc-yahoo-aol-issue/

Between Naps on the Porch dot net

May 20, 2014, 11:49:48 PM5/20/14
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
I had a reader just today (May 20th) leave a comment on this post at my blog:  http://betweennapsontheporch.net/how-to-whitelist-email-addresses-for-your-favorite-blogs/
saying that though she switched to Mad Mimi, she is still hearing from her blog readers that they are not getting her email updates. She asked Mad Mimi about it and and they told her that the emails were sent out but blocked by either the email provider or their security. That was all the help they offered her, so even the paid services are still being blocked! So in some cases, switching to a paid service isn't working any better than using Feedburner.

Also, I have to wonder why really large blogs like Simple Mom, Apartment Therapy and Problogger, haven't switched. They are all still using Feedburner. Take a look at some of the really big blogs and see who they are using for their email delivery. Once you get 10,000 subscribers, the cost is aroun $130 with Aweber and close to that with Feedblitz.

Ever since I changed the email address I had in my Feedburner account to an email address that is a "personal" one but is instead a "domain" address, following this tutorial I found online: http://www.nelliebellie.com/changing-your-domain-e-mail-address/
 more of my readers are starting to gradually report getting my Feedburner emails again.

So I'm going to give it a little more time before I make the switch.

Caution: Beware of folks who rave about any one particular service making it sound like the best thing EVER and then provide a link to that service. Often the link they provide is an affiliate link and they make money if you use it to sign up for that service, which is fine as long as they disclose that it's an affiliate link.

Shelley Zurek

May 21, 2014, 12:13:06 AM5/21/14
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
All I have to say to your feedburner rational is this from Feedblitz (a service that I dont' use):

FeedBurner Shut Down? The Facts

As previously announced by Google, the FeedBurner API has been deprecated and will be SHUT DOWN on October 20, 2012. Or in about 6 weeks time, as I write. This does NOT mean that FeedBurner itself will go away on that date; but at that point programmatic access to feed metrics – a feature that’s been around for over six years! – will be gone for good.

The FeedBurner Twitter account was formally abandoned on July 26th, 2012.

The FeedBurner blog was formally closed the same day.

Unnoticed by many, but still very significant, is the news that the FeedBurner.JP domain was abandoned / lost by Google at the end of July 2012 without warning or notice. Podcasters and bloggers whose feeds were served at feeds.feedburner.jp have lost their audiences for good and, it seems, have no migration path out and no way to access metrics or email subscriber information. As far as their subscribers are concerned, they all just disappeared overnight. The FeedBurner.jp domain is now parked, and being used to serve ads by its new owner; here’s how the old domain looked (note the official Google login screens).

Google has also announced (2012-10-02) the end of AdSense for Feeds, the ad program whereby FeedBurner RSS publishers could earn from ads placed in FeedBurner RSS feeds.

For the record, Google has NOT said that they are shutting down FeedBurner.

However, despite all the uncertainty caused by their actions, including the shut down of FeedBurner.jp, Google has NOT said they are NOT shutting down FeedBurner either.

There is no support for anyone from FeedBurner / Google (this isn’t new, but merits repeating).

Between Naps on the Porch dot net

May 21, 2014, 12:40:46 AM5/21/14
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
Yep, I remembering reading that when Google Reader shut down. I would be happy to go with a paid service if they were able to get the emails through but based on the comments I'm getting on posts from other bloggers, the paid services are having trouble, too...just like Feedburner. Shelley, did you read the first comment left on this post on my blog today? http://betweennapsontheporch.net/how-to-whitelist-email-addresses-for-your-favorite-blogs/  It's comments like that, that keep me from moving to a paid service. I personally chatted with Mad Mimi about a week ago and they told me the exact same thing they told her, that there's nothing they can do if the emails are being blocked.

Before I move to a paid service, I would like to see the email providers like Yahoo, AT&T, Comcast, AOL, etc...stop blocking emails being delivered from legit emails or domain email addresses, then it would be worth the expense to have the other benefits and flexibility you get with a paid service. But it would be discouraging to go through the trouble and expense of moving to a paid service and still see emails being blocked as many folks are.
Message has been deleted