RSS Feed Not Updating and Validation Problems

Alan Wood

Apr 27, 2015, 4:11:45 PM4/27/15
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com

I am using Feedburner and it wasn't updating. I thought that was the issue so decided to try and use the one built-in and provided by WordPress. But this one also isn't showing any new articles past April 20. That article is the last one that will show and there are four since then have published.

I had a weird character issue showing up and fixed that and now this problem is happening. Not sure if it is related. I also installed W3 cache recently. I disabled the page cache option for Cache Feeds but that also didn't solve the problem.

On Feedburner I have tried all the troubleshooting tips like ping and resync.

I have already tried the two most popular RSS fix plugins inside Wordpress and they didn't solve the problem.

I have also tried changing themes in Wordpress to 2012, 2014 and disabling plugins and that didn't work.

Can someone take a look and offer some other solutions? There are so many possibilities I don't know where to begin so maybe someone can look at the error messages showing at the validator link and point me in the right direction.

Doesn't validate here
http://validator.w3.org/feed/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fgwmac.com

My Standard wordpress Feed
http://gwmac.com/feed

My Feedburner Feed
http://feeds.feedburner.com/GlobalWatchdog

Matti nescio

Apr 27, 2015, 5:46:00 PM4/27/15
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, April 27, 2015 at 11:11:45 PM UTC+3, Alan Wood wrote:

As long as you are redirecting all your wordpress feed URLs to the feedburner,
it's impossible to see what the wordpress feed itself looks like.

What's the Original Feed in Feedburner Feed Details set to ?

Surely you are not redirecting your Wordpress feed to feedburner
when it is requested by Feedburner/FeedFetcher ?

Alan Wood

Apr 27, 2015, 7:57:10 PM4/27/15
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for trying to help. It was all set up properly and working fine until recently Matt. It just stopped updating after April 20 and it wouldn't validate nay longer. I decided to just delete my feed burner feed entirely and use the standard one that comes with Wordpress which is my website gwmac.com/feed

So I deleted my feed burner feed completely and changed the link in wordpress back to gwmac.com/feed.

The problem I am now having is this is the message I am seeing on validator

timed out (Server timed out; misconfigured server?)

This is the message I am seeing on my WordPress RSS widget for gwmac.com/feed
RSS Error: WP HTTP Error: Operation timed out after 10000 milliseconds with 0 bytes receive

I have the widget set to show the latest two articles but it is blank. Any ideas how to clear out whatever issue is still occurring to get my feed working again?

Matti nescio

Apr 27, 2015, 8:47:30 PM4/27/15
On Tuesday, 28 April 2015 02:57:10 UTC+3, Alan Wood wrote:
The problem I am now having is this is the message I am seeing on validator

timed out (Server timed out; misconfigured server?)

That's not just a problem with the validator.
I'm trying to load the following directly on my end:
So far waited for 3 minutes with no response from your server.

But http://gwmac.com/comments/feed/ (as well as indivual post comment feeds) work fine and quick.

So the validator error message is quite right, misconfigured server.

You'd have to backtrack all the changes you made , starting with the fixing of the 'weird character issue' -
and ask for help in the Wordpress support forums.

Alan Wood

Apr 27, 2015, 8:53:34 PM4/27/15
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
I figured it out Matt. It was a problem with a Wordpress cache plugin called W3 which is very popular. Apparently it is a common problem.

 I really enjoy the speed boost of W3 so I hope I can make it and RSS play nice together. I tried disabling the parts in W3 page cache related to feeds but that hasn't worked.

I will post this youtube video of the fix that many have used successfully. I am trying it now.

Matti nescio

Apr 27, 2015, 10:09:34 PM4/27/15
On Tuesday, 28 April 2015 03:53:34 UTC+3, Alan Wood wrote:
I figured it out Matt. It was a problem with a Wordpress cache plugin called W3 which is very popular. Apparently it is a common problem.

Aye,  most of WP caching plugins (but mainly the most popular Super Cache and Total Cache)
are known to cause problems with feeds, even when they allow disabling it for the feeds.
Got no experience Hyper Cache or WP Fastest Cache

Some reviews indicate that Total Cache saves more bandwidth than Super Cache,
but at the cost of using considerably more CPU time.