Feedburner feedflare email link

Illingworth Library

Apr 29, 2015, 11:47:46 AM4/29/15
to feedburne...@googlegroups.com
I have a number of Feedburner feeds that have been running successfully for several years publicising journal articles for clinicians at our hospital.
I have just realised that in the emails sent when people subscribe to the feed there is a problem.

With the Optimise Feedflare settings I have the 'email this'boxes ticked. The link appears fine on the emails received by subscribers but when they click on 'email this' for a particular item it no longer opens an email form but I get Google 404 message.

I'm not sure when this stopped working but the emailing link for an item is one of the main ones I would like to be working.
Can anybody help with what the problem is please?

Many thanks

Maks Verver

May 4, 2015, 8:56:24 AM5/4/15
to feedburne...@googlegroups.com
The problem is not on your end. The "email this" feed flare has been discontinued last year, due to concerns about abuse by spammers. It's unlikely to return in its original form.

You might be able to partially emulate the feature with a "mailto:" link (though it's not possible to include HTML content that way).

 - Maks.

illingworth...@gmail.com

May 5, 2015, 4:39:53 AM5/5/15
to feedburne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much Maks - even though it is bad news. I have no idea how I
would create Mail to link but suspect that the end result would not be as
nice.

So disappointed as I will now have to go through all my 40 feeds removing
the email link (nothing worse than a link that doesn't work.

I really wish Google would start supporting Feedburner again as I can't
find anything similar to take it's place.

Maks Verver

May 5, 2015, 5:28:01 AM5/5/15
to feedburne...@googlegroups.com
I think few companies would be comfortable sending arbitrary email messages without at least authenticating the sender. Sooner or later such features will be abused, though I understand that legitimate users found the feature useful, too.

Out of curiosity, do you have an example feed that you could share? Maybe the mailto: link-approach works well for your use case.

Cafea cu Taifas

Aug 28, 2015, 2:36:18 PM8/28/15
to General Services
I still can not understand why Google is not making any announcement about Feedburner. They will close it or keep it and support it? It can be such a good and reliable service.