Email sent a 2nd time, 6 weeks later

james bird

May 11, 2015, 4:09:38 AM5/11/15
to feedburne...@googlegroups.com
We use Feedburner to update subscribers with posts from our Wordpress site.
The other day subscribers were erroniously sent an email for the second time.

The problem post was originally made about 6 weeks ago and subscribers received it correctly.
Posts have been made on the WP site since and subscribers have received emails for those correctly.
About a week ago I updated the WP software. All seemed fine, and I have no specific reason to think this caused probelms, though no posts have been made since.
Three days later the repeated post was sent via Feedburner to subscribers.

I've checked all the settings in all the placed I can think of and can see nothing that would cause this.
I've done a bit of searching, but I can't find any mention of this problem online.

Is this a settings issue, a WP issue, or a Feedburner issue?

Maks Verver

May 11, 2015, 5:49:41 AM5/11/15
to feedburne...@googlegroups.com
FeedBurner sends email updates for items that it believes have changed. To see if an item is different, it will look at the item id first (if there is none, it will look at item title, link and date, in that order).

It seems likely that upgrading your site caused the item ids (or in absence of item ids, item titles) in your feed to change. If that happens, FeedBurner thinks the items are different (that's what the item id means, after all) and will send an email update for it.

 - Maks.

james bird

May 11, 2015, 6:34:13 AM5/11/15
to feedburne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Maks.
Sounds like a possible cause, though I would have expected other posts to have been resent in the same way.

Matti nescio

May 11, 2015, 9:24:51 AM5/11/15
On Monday, 11 May 2015 11:09:38 UTC+3, james bird wrote:
About a week ago I updated the WP software. All seemed fine, and I have no specific reason to think this caused probelms, though no posts have been made since.

Apart from updating WP version, did you delete any posts, or revert any posts into drafts ?

eVision Industry Software

Jun 3, 2015, 5:18:57 AM6/3/15
to feedburne...@googlegroups.com
I too would be interested in suggestions on the cause and a solution here as i have what comes down to the same issue;

One of our newsposts from 2014 got resent to subscribers yesterday. I checked to see if it was changed recently but as far as wordpress is concerned it hasn't.

To answer Matt's question in advance:
This happens on our site from time to time yes, just last week i deleted a few posts that were never published.

Any input would be very much appreciated.

Maks Verver

Jun 3, 2015, 6:03:37 AM6/3/15
to feedburne...@googlegroups.com
Could you post the URL to your FeedBurner feed, and point out a few of the items that were not sent? Maybe I'll be able to say if there's something wrong with them.

 - Maks.

Matti nescio

Jun 4, 2015, 1:41:51 PM6/4/15
On Wednesday, 3 June 2015 10:18:57 UTC+1, eVision Industry Software wrote:
One of our newsposts from 2014 got resent to subscribers yesterday. I checked to see if it was changed recently but as far as wordpress is concerned it hasn't.

How many posts have you set your Wordpress feed to include ? (Wordpress Syndication settings)
Viewing the Wordpress feed directly, is the 2014 post that was resent still there ?
Or the next time an old post is resent, see where in the Wordpress feed that post is then.

To answer Matt's question in advance:
This happens on our site from time to time yes, just last week i deleted a few posts that were never published.

Were those deleted posts such that they appeared in your Wordpress feed right before you deleted them ?

Bruno Mateus

Mar 3, 2016, 9:33:17 AM3/3/16
to General Services
Having the same problem, with a Drupal feed.

Funny (!not funny at all) enough it doesn't send the latest articles, but some of the most obsolete...

Wendy Neill

Jun 25, 2016, 9:59:19 AM6/25/16
to General Services
Having the same problem with a Joomla website.  Several times it has reset an old post or even an entire list of posts even though I have not edited them or updated software.  Today, it resent one from June 13th.  I looked in the mySQL database at the modified date of the post and it had not been modified since the 13th.

robit...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2018, 4:35:30 AM1/10/18
to General Services
Hello!

The same problem, today there was a message to subscribers, with an old post from 23 Aug 2017, the article did not change from the indicated date of placement

Matti nescio

Jan 10, 2018, 6:05:13 AM1/10/18
to General Services
On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 11:35:30 UTC+2, Company Robiton wrote:
The same problem, today there was a message to subscribers, with an old post from 23 Aug 2017, the article did not change from the indicated date of placement

But did you recently delete/draft any posts newer than that post ?

Company Robiton

Jan 10, 2018, 8:22:03 AM1/10/18
to General Services
I turned on the flag not to publish on one of the materials for the date 02.11.2017, without deleting it.

But because of this, old publications should not be sent.

Do you agree ?

Matti nescio

Jan 10, 2018, 11:12:48 AM1/10/18
to General Services
On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 15:22:03 UTC+2, Company Robiton wrote:
I turned on the flag not to publish on one of the materials for the date 02.11.2017, without deleting it.
But because of this, old publications should not be sent.

If doing that caused the post from 23 Aug 2017 to reappear in your Original Feed, then it should be sent.