Feed size (not) too big

Jeff Stephens

May 4, 2015, 11:22:12 PM5/4/15
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
Feedburner continues to throw an error when I try the Resync option on my feed saying the feed file size is too big. However, looking at the feed from web-sniffer it is not too big and isn't even 100kb. I've tried basically everything to try and get the feed to work.

I'm using a self-hosted wordpress instance on Bluehost that is serving up a categorized (podcast only) RSS feed to Feedburner. Here is the feed URL http://www.crazydadlife.com/category/podcast/feed/

Any help would be appreciated. I've been talking with Bluehost support to see if there is an issue that would cause the feed to timeout.

If I set my Wordpress Settings/Reading/Syndication Feed shows the latest to 20 or below, it works. But if I go over 20 I get the file size too big error, even though it is not too big.

Thanks.

Matti nescio

May 4, 2015, 11:50:21 PM5/4/15
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
The only issue I'm seeing is timeout issues - your server is taking
between 10 and 50 seconds to respond when requesting the feed.

Feedburner times out after 10 seconds, http://www.rexswain.com/httpview.html after 15 seconds.

http://www.crazydadlife.com/feed/ took 15 seconds of waiting for any response on first load,

Jeff Stephens

May 5, 2015, 12:00:29 AM5/5/15
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Matti! I went down that path as well. I sat on tech support with Bluehost and didn't get much help from them. From what I did gather, they didn't see any issues with the server itself.

Do you think this could be a compression thing? I believe the file may use gzip but not sure where or how I would change that from happening. Any ideas on what might be slowing the retrieval?

Thanks again.

Jeff Stephens

May 5, 2015, 12:18:12 AM5/5/15
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
Ok, so I figured out a workaround. Thanks for turning me onto that rexswain site. It works better than web-sniffer.net in terms of handling the larger files without timing out!!

So, here is what I can do...it's a hack, but it works at least. In order to bypass the timeout of Feedburner trying to get my podcast feed from my Wordpress instance I do the following:

1. Set my Wordpress Settings/Reading/Syndication Feeds Show the Most Recent to 50
2. I'm using the W3TotalCache plugin for Wordpress so I made sure that caching was enabled for RSS feeds
3. I emptied all cache in W3TotalCache
4. I go out to the rexswain site and plug in my RSS feed URL and hit submit. It then basically makes Wordpress/W3TotalCache cache the RSS/XML
5. When I go to Feedburner to retrieve the RSS, it has not problems as it can quickly (like only in a second) pull back the cached RSS data.

It's not ideal, but it appears to work.

Thanks for helping me narrow my attack a little and leading me to the ultimate answer.

Matti nescio

May 5, 2015, 12:52:22 PM5/5/15
On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 7:18:12 AM UTC+3, Jeff Stephens wrote:
2. I'm using the W3TotalCache plugin for Wordpress so I made sure that caching was enabled for RSS feeds
3. I emptied all cache in W3TotalCache

All the WP caching plugins, but especially TotalCache and SuperCache (the two most popular ones)
have been known to cause problems with Feedburner - even when you specifically disable them for feeds.

If you want to keep it enabled, you'll have the clear the cache every time when you publish a new post,
then ping your Feedburner feed URL (or worst case, ReSync it).

Matti nescio

May 5, 2015, 12:56:08 PM5/5/15
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 7:18:12 AM UTC+3, Jeff Stephens wrote:
1. Set my Wordpress Settings/Reading/Syndication Feeds Show the Most Recent to 50

Normally setting the feed to have that many posts would make the feed too large (>1024K)
, but since you're using a summary feed, not a problem.

janak paudel

May 13, 2015, 11:09:59 PM5/13/15
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
thanks