Versions of binary resources

David Chandek-Stark

Apr 1, 2016, 11:24:18 AM4/1/16
to fedor...@googlegroups.com
I've been experimenting with F4 versions, mostly using ActiveFedora, and I've run into a couple of issues which may be bugs or features.

The main issue I think is that requests to binaries under versions do not include the Link: <uri>; rel="describedby" header.

Here's the header when I GET the binary node URI:

Link: <http://localhost:8983/fedora/rest/dev/8f/49/84/e2/8f4984e2-5fbc-4e6f-bbc1-6b392b580f2a/content/fcr:metadata>; rel="describedby"

When I request the binary URI under a version (http://localhost:8983/fedora/rest/dev/8f/49/84/e2/8f4984e2-5fbc-4e6f-bbc1-6b392b580f2a/fcr:versions/87a0a8c317f1e7e3193515-7815-4475-8950-95698c75d2e1/content), the describedby link is absent, although the correct info under the predicate http://www.iana.org/assignments/relation/describedby exists at {version_uri}/fcr:metadata.

I imagine this is what drives the HTML UI to redirect to /fcr:metadata for the non-versioned URI, but not for the versioned URI.

Bug or feature?

Thanks,
David

Andrew Woods

Apr 2, 2016, 4:25:29 PM4/2/16
to fedor...@googlegroups.com
Hello David,
Thanks for pointing out this behavior of Link headers for versioned resources. At this point, I would lean towards saying that the missing "Link:describedby" header on a versioned binary resource is a bug. However, there is some gray area relating to the exact behavior expected of versioned resources... hence the specification effort that is currently underway:

I have added a reminder note to that draft specification. Please also create a JIRA item with your details:

Regards,
Andrew