[Fedora-users] java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind

1 view

Mary M

Jul 12, 2006, 8:38:12 PM7/12/06
to fedora...@comm.nsdl.org
Dear All,

When I start fedora, I sometimes got the earror message below:
StandardServer.await : create[8005]: java.net.BindException: Address already
in use: JVM_Bind
java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind (PlainSocketImpl.java:359)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:319)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:185)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.await (StandardServer.java:496
)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.await(Catalina.java:619)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:579)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0 (Native Method)
java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces
sorImpl.java:25)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:287)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:425)

If I stop the fedora and start again, the message won't come up. Also this doesn't happen all the time. Anyone has any idea about this?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Mary

John Fereira

Jul 13, 2006, 12:40:01 PM7/13/06
to Mary M, fedora...@comm.nsdl.org
Mary M wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> When I start fedora, I sometimes got the earror message below:
> StandardServer.await : create[8005]: java.net.BindException: Address
> already
> in use: JVM_Bind
> java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind
>
> If I stop the fedora and start again, the message won't come up. Also
> this doesn't happen all the time. Anyone has any idea about this?
That indicates that the port that the server is trying to use (8005) is
already used by another process. Port 8005 is one of the ports that the
web application server (Tomcat) uses, thus it means that there is
already an instance of Tomcat running (which is using port 8005) or the
remote possibility that some other application is using port 8005.
Fedora runs as a context in the web application server. Stopping Fedora
actually stops the web application server, so a stop releases the port,
and a subsequent start binds to it again.

This is really a J2EE web application issue, not a Fedora issue. You
can find more information about J2EE web applications here:
http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/tutorial/doc/index.html or if you're
interested in learning about Tomcat specifically, here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/