[fcrepo-user] Segmentation fault in fcrepo-client-admin-3.5.jar

1 view

Uwe Klosa

Sep 5, 2011, 7:22:46 AM9/5/11
to Fedora Users
I'm getting a segmentation fault every time I try to open an object with the fcrepo administrator client.

I installed fcrepo 3.5 on Ubuntu 11.04. I also compile the client from source. I'm getting the same error. The 3.4 version worked without any problem.

I have the following enviroment:

java version "1.6.0_26"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.1-b02, mixed mode)

Linux 2.6.38-11-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 29 19:02:55 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Uwe Klosa
Senior Software Engineer
Electronic Publishinbg Centre
Uppsala University

Aaron Birkland

Sep 5, 2011, 4:54:02 PM9/5/11
to fedora-com...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi Uwe,

> I'm getting a segmentation fault every time I try to open an object
> with the fcrepo administrator client.

I assume you used the java-based administrator client, and that the
segfault occurred within the VM in which the client was running. Is
that correct?

I was able to successfully open an object on my machine. 64-bit, Fedora
15:

java version "1.6.0_26"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.1-b02, mixed mode)

Linux 2.6.40.3-0.fc15.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Aug 16 04:10:59 UTC 2011 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I did not see a segfault. Can you list the exact steps you took to
reproduce this problem?

-Aaron

Uwe Klosa

Sep 6, 2011, 3:09:09 AM9/6/11
to Support and info exchange list for Fedora users.
Yes, I started the java admin client. I did a search and then I double clicked on of the search results. You can see in the status field that the client is reading data from fedora. The segmantation fault occurs just before the new window showing the objects content appears. I tried that with different types of objects and on different machines with Ubuntu. On all machines the same error occurred. I did not test it on Windows or OSX.

Uwe Klosa

Sep 6, 2011, 8:52:25 AM9/6/11
to Support and info exchange list for Fedora users.
I do have more information about the error:

Exception in thread "Thread-4" java.lang.StackOverflowError
        at java.lang.String.getChars(String.java:854)
        at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.append(AbstractStringBuilder.java:391)
        at java.lang.StringBuilder.append(StringBuilder.java:119)
        at sun.net.spi.DefaultProxySelector$3.run(DefaultProxySelector.java:218)
        at sun.net.spi.DefaultProxySelector.select(DefaultProxySelector.java:201)
        at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:358)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor15.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.axis.components.net.DefaultSocketFactory.create(DefaultSocketFactory.java:153)
        at org.apache.axis.components.net.DefaultSocketFactory.create(DefaultSocketFactory.java:120)
        at org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.getSocket(HTTPSender.java:191)
        at org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.writeToSocket(HTTPSender.java:404)
        at org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.invoke(HTTPSender.java:138)
        at org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.readFromSocket(HTTPSender.java:727)
        at org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.invoke(HTTPSender.java:144)
        at org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.readFromSocket(HTTPSender.java:727)
        at org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.invoke(HTTPSender.java:144)
        at org.apache.axis.strategies.InvocationStrategy.visit(InvocationStrategy.java:32)
        at org.apache.axis.SimpleChain.doVisiting(SimpleChain.java:118)
        at org.apache.axis.client.AxisClient.invoke(AxisClient.java:165)
        at org.fcrepo.server.management.FedoraAPIMBindingSOAPHTTPStub.getDatastreams(FedoraAPIMBindingSOAPHTTPStub.java:1000)
        at org.fcrepo.client.APIMStubWrapper$13.construct(APIMStubWrapper.java:1151)
        at org.fcrepo.client.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:131)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

/Uwe

Aaron Birkland

Sep 8, 2011, 7:12:37 AM9/8/11
to Support and info exchange list for Fedora users.

> (on the other hand there may be some underlying reason for the
> StackOverflowError that does need resolving).

As far as I recall, there was not much (or any) work on the java admin
per se in 3.5. The fact that this overflow is occurring within Axis
(where it is presumably acting upon data recently obtained from fedora)
combined with the fact that this problem does not occur in 3.4 leads me
to wonder if something changed in the response from Fedora that could be
causing this.

> Is there anything unusual about the object you are opening? Can you
> for instance open one of the fedora system objects?

I'm starting to wonder the same thing. Does this only happen for
certain objects?

-Aaron

Uwe Klosa

Sep 8, 2011, 7:25:04 AM9/8/11
to Support and info exchange list for Fedora users.

On 8 September 2011 09:30, Stephen Bayliss <stephen...@acuityunlimited.net> wrote:
Just a thought, but if the stack overflow is triggering this, have you tried modifying the memory parameters for the JVM in which the client is running?

The set-env script seems to specify -Xms64m -Xmx96m

That was the first thing I thought about. I changed them. But no change

Possibly these values are no longer appropriate for the java admin client; or increasing the stack size using -Xss might solve it (by modifying the client/bin/set-env script)?

(on the other hand there may be some underlying reason for the StackOverflowError that does need resolving).

My thought exactly. I think there is an endless loop which cuases this error.

Is there anything unusual about the object you are opening?  Can you for instance open one of the fedora system objects?

Same error here.

I forgot to mention that the Fedora repository is on a remote host. When I tried the same with my local installation this error did not occur.

/Uwe