[fcrepo-user] upgrading to 3.7.1

Adam Wead

Nov 1, 2013, 2:33:25 PM11/1/13
to Fedora Users List
With fedora stopped, when I run fedora-rebuild.sh on the new version, I get:

ERROR 14:26:44.741 (Server) Module
(org.fcrepo.server.storage.DOManager) failed to initialize
org.fcrepo.server.errors.ModuleInitializationException: Error checking
for and creating non-existing tables

I'm getting this even with an empty database, which seems odd. I know
there's the new table fcrepoRebuildStatus. Should I create this
manually?

TIA,
...adam
Adam Wead
Systems and Digital Collections Librarian
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
216.515.1960 (t)
215.515.1964 (f)

Benjamin Armintor

Nov 1, 2013, 3:55:46 PM11/1/13
to Support and info exchange list for Fedora users.
Adam-
  Can you walk me through what you've done so far?

- Ben

Adam Wead

Nov 1, 2013, 4:36:03 PM11/1/13
to Support and info exchange list for Fedora users.
so... with the new jar file,

java -jar installer.3.7.1.jar /old/FEDORA_HOME/install/install.properties
cd /new/FEDORA_HOME
copy fedora, fedora-users and akubra configs from old fedora to new
copy fedora-xacml-policies from old fedora to new
set environment variables (FEDORA_HOME, CATALINA_HOME)
run fedora-rebuild.sh
BOOM!

That's what I did with the 3.7.0 upgrade. Perhaps there's a better way...

Adam Wead
Systems and Digital Collections Librarian
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
216.515.1960 (t)
215.515.1964 (f)

Adam Wead

Nov 5, 2013, 11:05:55 AM11/5/13
to Support and info exchange list for Fedora users.
So, I'm getting the same problem even with a new install of 3.7.1.
When I execute the jar file and go through the custom install process,
I point fedora to our mysql server with an empt database.

When I startup fedora, I get:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/7321053

Try to rebuild:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/7321206

Here's the install properties file that was created when I ran the
custom install:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/7321222

I didn't change any of the config files. They are as-is from the
installer. I also tried updating the mysql-connector to the latest
5.1.27, but no dice.

I'm seeing the errors: Duplicate key name 'rebuildDate' and Error:
Error checking for and creating non-existing tables

If you want to send me the specs on the that new table, I can try
creating it manually in mysql and see if that has any effect.

FYI: The installer works with the "quick" installation option which
uses the jdbc driver, so I imagine this is some odd issue with mysql.

Adam Wead
Systems and Digital Collections Librarian
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
216.515.1960 (t)
215.515.1964 (f)

Benjamin Armintor

Nov 5, 2013, 11:18:11 AM11/5/13
to Support and info exchange list for Fedora users.

Adam Wead

Jeff Minelli

Nov 5, 2013, 11:39:23 AM11/5/13
to Support and info exchange list for Fedora users., Adam Wead
Silly questions, but can you access the database from the CLI?

-jeff

From: Adam Wead Adam Wead
Reply: Support and info exchange list for Fedora users. fedora-com...@lists.sourceforge.net
Date: November 5, 2013 at 11:30:22 AM
To: Support and info exchange list for Fedora users. fedora-com...@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject:  Re: [fcrepo-user] upgrading to 3.7.1

Benjamin Armintor

Nov 5, 2013, 12:17:41 PM11/5/13
to Support and info exchange list for Fedora users.
First of all, let me say: Aargh.

I think the mySQL jdbc driver is barking that a columnSpec marked as unique and indexed is trying to build 2 indexes with the same name. Try this:

1. Start tomcat- it will fail, but it will unpack the WAR.
2. shut down tomcat
4. edit the last table spec to remove the "index" attribute
5. copy the edited file to $CATALINE_HOME/webapps/fedora/WEB-INF/classes/org/fcrepo/storage/resources
6. start tomcat (it should work now)
7. stop tomcat.
8. run the rebuilder (if desired)

Benjamin Armintor

Nov 5, 2013, 12:18:53 PM11/5/13
to Support and info exchange list for Fedora users.
More specifically for #4, edit the table spec for fcrepoRebuildStatus to remove the index attribute "index='rebuildDate'" from the rebuildDate column.

Benjamin Armintor

Nov 5, 2013, 1:38:24 PM11/5/13
to Support and info exchange list for Fedora users.
Edit for #5: $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/fedora/WEB-INF/classes/org/fcrepo/server/storage/resources

Adam Wead

Nov 5, 2013, 2:03:38 PM11/5/13
to Support and info exchange list for Fedora users.
OK, it creates the table! But, now I'm getting:

https://gist.github.com/awead/7324228

Never saw this before and don't have the xsd file in any of my
previous fedora installs.
Adam Wead
Systems and Digital Collections Librarian
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
216.515.1960 (t)
215.515.1964 (f)

Adam Wead

Nov 5, 2013, 2:23:08 PM11/5/13
to Support and info exchange list for Fedora users.
Alright... turned out it was some stale config files that had old file names.

I'm now happy to report that it's working! Thanks for the help...

Should there be a new release, something like 3.7.1.1 to address the fix?
Adam Wead
Systems and Digital Collections Librarian
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
216.515.1960 (t)
215.515.1964 (f)

Benjamin Armintor

Nov 5, 2013, 2:34:42 PM11/5/13
to Support and info exchange list for Fedora users.
I'm going to put that decision in the steering group's lap. There's hypothetically another RC to be ready in a week or so.

Adam Wead

Andrew Woods

Nov 6, 2013, 11:57:31 AM11/6/13
to Support and info exchange list for Fedora users.
Thanks for raising the flag on this issue, Adam.
Having the update roll in with 3.7.2 seems very reasonable, versus yet another minor release.
Andrew

Korcynski, Michael T.

Nov 19, 2013, 3:16:01 PM11/19/13
to Support and info exchange list for Fedora users.
I just started a 3.7.1 upgrade at Tufts as well. While running the
installer we ran into a different initial problem, and having resolved
that have caught up the problem reported here, so first off, thanks for
the info here in this thread. The problem we initially hit is that in our
install we specify the low level storage option as legacy-fs, which upon
start up results in the following error:

ERROR 13:46:21.014 (Server) Module
(org.fcrepo.server.storage.lowlevel.ILowlevelStorage) failed to initialize
org.fcrepo.server.errors.ModuleInitializationException: couldn't set up
path_algorithm for objectPaths Class
org.fcrepo.server.storage.lowlevel.defaultstore.Store can not access a
member of class org.fcrepo.server.storage.lowlevel.TimestampPathAlgorithm
with modifiers "public"
at
org.fcrepo.server.storage.lowlevel.DefaultLowlevelStorageModule.postInitMod
ule(DefaultLowlevelStorageModule.java:44) ~[fcrepo-server-3.7.1.jar:na]

Looking at the fcrepo-server source it seemed to be related to this commit:

https://github.com/fcrepo/fcrepo/commit/5ad360edf39bfeca57038974639b41073af
1fd1b#diff-644ddc1704c65930c61becbd9826bee1

Where the Store class moved from being a support within
DefaultLowlevelStorage in the org.fcrepo.server.storage.lowlevel package
to the org.fcrepo.server.storage.lowlevel.default package as a top level
class.

I confirmed that by making the TimestampPathAlgorithm class public this
issue goes away at startup since Store would then have access. Not sure
if this is the correct fix or if Store should've stayed in the previous
package.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Benjamin Armintor

Nov 19, 2013, 3:54:55 PM11/19/13
to Support and info exchange list for Fedora users.
That looks like a bug to me, Mike. If you have time to create a JIRA ticket for it, I'll patch it in master.

Gervais de Montbrun

Feb 20, 2014, 9:38:09 AM2/20/14
to fedora-c...@googlegroups.com, Support and info exchange list for Fedora users.
Hi All,

I'm having trouble installing 3.7.1. I just downloaded the fcrepo-installer-3.7.1.jar from the fedora-commons.org web page to do a new install. It seems that this bug is still present in the jar file that is on the fedora-commons.org web page, but that the fix below no longer works...

I downloaded the linked to DefaultDOManager.dbspec file (which seems to already be updated as step 4's reference to "index='rebuildDate'" is not there). NP...
The path where the file is supposed to be save to ($CATALINA_HOME/webapps/fedora/WEB-INF/classes/org/fcrepo/server/storage/resources) in step 5 doesn't exist on my fresh install... Problem...

I created the path and stuck the file there on the off chance that this would correct the issue. As I expected, it does not.

Any suggestions on how to get fedora 3.7.1 working? Again, this is a fresh, clean install.

Cheers,
Gervais

Benjamin Armintor

Feb 20, 2014, 10:28:55 AM2/20/14
to Gervais de Montbrun, fedora-c...@googlegroups.com, Support and info exchange list for Fedora users.
Gervais,
  The fact that the path you copied to didn't exist is suspicious.  Are you quite sure that you're working in the operative CATALINA_HOME? If you had tried and failed to start Fedora, the web application should still have been unpacked.

- Ben

Gervais de Montbrun

Feb 20, 2014, 11:44:31 AM2/20/14
to Benjamin Armintor, fedora-c...@googlegroups.com, Support and info exchange list for Fedora users.
The apache tomcat manager page loads up…  "Thanks for using Tomcat!”
:-)

I set up a vm to test on and I find the same result.

[root@Islandora ~]# cd $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/fedora/WEB-INF/classes
[root@Islandora classes]# ls
carol.properties  default.properties  images  META-INF  ri

There is no “org” dir. I don’t have an org dir in classes in any of my fedora installs (checked a working 3.6.2 install).

Cheers,
Gervais

Benjamin Armintor

Feb 20, 2014, 11:50:58 AM2/20/14
to Gervais de Montbrun, fedora-c...@googlegroups.com
Right, this file is usually in a JAR- you're overriding it by creating the resource in the WEB-INF-classes directory.

Ok, so you've created the override file, and copied it into $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/fedora/WEB-INF/classes/org/fcrepo/server/storage/resources (this is an edit further down in this email chain, please double-check the path you are copying to).  What message do you get in the Fedora logs?

- Ben

Gervais de Montbrun

Feb 20, 2014, 12:09:48 PM2/20/14
to Benjamin Armintor, fedora-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben,

I saw the correction in the tread about CATALINA…  Let me go back a bit… This is what I am doing:

cd ~
sudo java -jar fcrepo-installer-3.7.1.jar install.properties
cat /usr/local/fedora/install/install.properties
#Install Options
#Thu Feb 20 12:18:00 AST 2014
keystore.file=included
ri.enabled=true
messaging.enabled=true
apia.auth.required=false
database.jdbcDriverClass=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
tomcat.ssl.port=8443
ssl.available=true
database.jdbcURL=jdbc\:mysql\://localhost/fedora3?useUnicode\=true&characterEncoding\=UTF-8&autoReconnect\=true
messaging.uri=vm\:(broker\:(tcp\://localhost\:61616))
database.password=islandora
database.mysql.driver=included
database.username=fedoraAdmin
fesl.authz.enabled=false
tomcat.shutdown.port=8055
deploy.local.services=true
xacml.enabled=true
database.mysql.jdbcDriverClass=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
tomcat.http.port=8080
fedora.serverHost=localhost
database=mysql
database.driver=included
fedora.serverContext=fedora
llstore.type=akubra-fs
tomcat.home=/usr/local/fedora/tomcat
fesl.authn.enabled=true
database.mysql.jdbcURL=jdbc\:mysql\://localhost/fedora3?useUnicode\=true&characterEncoding\=UTF-8&autoReconnect\=true
fedora.home=/usr/local/fedora
install.type=custom
servlet.engine=included
apim.ssl.required=false
fedora.admin.pass=islandora
apia.ssl.required=false
I set my JAVA_OPTS, FEDORA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME up in a /etc/profile.d/fedora.sh file
cat /etc/profile.d/fedora.sh
export FEDORA_HOME=/usr/local/fedora
export CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/fedora/tomcat
export JAVA_OPTS="-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=/usr/local/fedora/server/truststore -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=tomcat"
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_38
export FEDORA_USER=fedora
I run my tomcat stack as the FEDORA_USER so I chown the dir to fedora
chown -R $FEDORA_USER:$FEDORA_USER $FEDORA_HOME
We have an init script that we use to stop and start tomcat…so I
service tomcat start
Tomcat starts, but fedora.log throws an error when it tries to create the table:
INFO 2014-02-20 12:18:25.702 [main] (SQLUtilityImpl) Creating new table 'fcrepoRebuildStatus' with command(s):
CREATE TABLE fcrepoRebuildStatus (
  rebuildDate bigint NOT NULL,
  complete boolean NOT NULL,
  UNIQUE KEY rebuildDate (rebuildDate),
  KEY rebuildDate (rebuildDate)
);
ERROR 2014-02-20 12:18:25.730 [main] (Server) Module (org.fcrepo.server.storage.DOManager) failed to initialize
org.fcrepo.server.errors.ModuleInitializationException: Error while attempting to check for and create non-existing table(s): com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Duplicate key name 'rebuildDate'
        at org.fcrepo.server.storage.DefaultDOManager.postInitModule(DefaultDOManager.java:410) ~[fcrepo-server-3.7.1.jar:na]

There is no org dir to copy the file into as suggested…
[root@Islandora ~]# echo $CATALINA_HOME
/usr/local/fedora/tomcat
[root@Islandora ~]# cd $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/fedora/WEB-INF/classes/org/fcrepo/server/storage/resources
-bash: cd: /usr/local/fedora/tomcat/webapps/fedora/WEB-INF/classes/org/fcrepo/server/storage/resources: No such file or directory

Anything else I can tell you that might help you help me?
:)

Cheers,
Gervais
--
Gervais de Montbrun  | Systems Team Lead
discoverygarden inc. www.discoverygarden.ca

Edward Garrett

Oct 7, 2014, 5:58:36 AM10/7/14
to fedora-c...@googlegroups.com, fedora-com...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi there,

i just ran into this problem myself. fixes #4 and #5 above worked for me.

it's a year on; perhaps there should be a minor release so that others don't run into the same problem, or perhaps 3.7.2 is near??

edward

Edward Garrett

Oct 7, 2014, 6:06:21 AM10/7/14
to fedora-c...@googlegroups.com, fedora-com...@lists.sourceforge.net
looks like this issue should point to:

where it is suggested to install fedora 3.8

Scott Prater

Oct 7, 2014, 10:14:24 AM10/7/14
to Edward Garrett, fedora-c...@googlegroups.com
Fedora 3.8.0 is very near.