Started Plumbing

Far McKon

Jan 15, 2011, 6:36:40 PM1/15/11
to federated...@googlegroups.com
Hey,
I started plumbing away based on @hmason's 'gitmarks' project.  I have an overview of where I am headed posted at : https://github.com/FarMcKon/gitmarks_hm/blob/master/OVERVIEW

I also grabbed a domain, and I'll be throwing up a etherpad setup there.   I'm mostly coding for fun at this point, and I'd be happy to hear suggestions/imrpovements on my baseic design, or (even better) some details to fill in.

hack on,
- Far McKon

azurelunatic

Jan 21, 2011, 9:55:37 AM1/21/11
to federated-bookmarks
Thank you for hacking about on this!

This may well be nitpicky, but I see that the goal: "To build a
distributed bookmark service, which is easy to bookmark, tag, and
share web-based information in a robust way, where data is controlled
and owned by users." doesn't mention archiving locally, nor restoring
from local archives.

-Azz

Far McKon

Jan 24, 2011, 1:44:02 PM1/24/11
to federated-bookmarks
>[...] doesn't mention archiving locally, nor restoring
> from local archives.
good point. Do you want to add that to the doc? If you dont' want to
mess with git, you can just write up a sentence or two, and email them
here, and I'll add that to it.

I'll send out a plumbing update tonight with some more info on what
I'm thinking for private bookmarks.

Far McKon

Feb 6, 2011, 3:04:27 PM2/6/11
to federated...@googlegroups.com
Hey all.  gitmarks beta Import/push of public delicious bookmarks works. http://bit.ly/fxIrzZ

If you want to help, this needs testing and some feedback from users.

1) Download the files from github at https://github.com/FarMcKon/gitmarks_hm That is my brach of HM's gitmarks.
2) Create a repository on a git server somewhere to store your public gitmarks, and another for your private gitmarks Save those git addresses
3) Open the folder where you checked out gitmarks. configure gitmarks by running the command 'python config.py' It will ask you questions and get you setup.
4) In that same directory (and after your setup) read Settings.py real quick and make sure it is sane
5) To import your delicious bookmarks into the gitmarks system, run 'python delicious_import.py YOUR_USERNAME YOUR_PW'

That last step is MOSTLY UNTESTED. Delicious API starts telling me 'go away' about 1/2 hour into tinkering, and their files kill minidom if loaded from the disk.

Any testing, feedback, coding would help. I am getting delicious import done first, then command line add, then content grabbing, and finally browser tools. if you want to help build stuff, please let me know. I really don't want to build this all alone :(....