Re: [fedmarks] Digest for federated-bookmarks@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic

Blaise Alleyne

Jan 3, 2011, 10:58:25 AM1/3/11
to federated...@googlegroups.com
> From: Far McKon <farm...@gmail.com>
> I don't know what to use for the federated part. I think Status.net
> might  make a good middle layer.  Unfortunately, I'm not much of a web
> dev (I've  done a lot more in text and image processing, and device
> drivers) so I  didn't get too much out of that php code, except that it
> is displaying  bookmark info?
>
> I spent some time looking at the xml and api for using the status.net
> (and  twitter) API's, and I think that something very similar could be
> easily  built for a social bookmark system.  Basiclly, I'm suggesting
> ripping off  the RESTful API  ideas for an interface,  mixing them with
> equal parts of  hReview and a bit of xFolk for the data containers, and
> adding a sprinkler  of other stuff to make they happy and healthy and
> work smoothly.
> Thoughts? Better ideas? Halp?

As someone whose been following these kinds of web services, but hasn't looked at much of the technical details yet directly, this makes sense to me as a good first step in the right direction, for whatever it's worth.

Ellie Frost

Jan 10, 2011, 11:19:57 PM1/10/11
to federated...@googlegroups.com
It's possible I'm incredibly uninitiated to advanced web development
(actually that's just true) but some of these technologies seem a
little extraneous to me. hReview looks like it has a very specific use
case (which I feel as though we fall out side of) and it seems too
simple to bother modifying.

xFolk looks more relevant to me, but it also seems like it's more
meant for embedding data within web pages. Is the suggestion from this
that we should try to unify the user interface with the inter-server
communications layer? To me that seems excessive and clunky.

Again, forgive me for possibly not doing my due diligence with my
research here. I'm not familiar with writing a federated service. Just
thought I'd add my $0.02.

Ellie