So, What's the deal?

Far McKon

Dec 27, 2010, 12:34:30 PM12/27/10
to federated...@googlegroups.com
hey folks,
So what is the deal with this project? I hear delicio.us is going to be tanked?  I'm interested in helping with some backend or maybe mobile service with this system, but I'd like to hear what direction/info is already in the works.

When I signed up, I see no posts or info, so do I get dibs on this as *first post*?

hack on,
- Far McKon

Leigh Honeywell

Dec 27, 2010, 1:04:07 PM12/27/10
to federated...@googlegroups.com
You get dibs :-)

i'll collect the various resources people pointed at in another mail, but one thing to start thinking about is a name.

-Leigh

Odin

Dec 27, 2010, 2:52:50 PM12/27/10
On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Leigh Honeywell <le...@hypatia.ca> wrote:
> i'll collect the various resources people pointed at in another mail, but one thing to
> start thinking about is a name.

Not only name but what/how as well. :-)

I guess we want to build upon the federated stack that statusnet uses,
so OStatus. But how and in what way?

Should we build a site that does the bookmarking like statusnet
(multiuser system), or should we build single user systems that is
collaborating?

Should we build at all? Or look at other stuff? If building, who is in? Etc. :p

I think the more interopable it is with existing standards, the
better, because in our federated world, we want to continously build
better software; and sometimes that means integrating stuff in a good
way. I'm not sure I want my bookmarking site to be a site in itself,
but rather a feature of my blog (and/or my federated social profile).
Well, in the short term it is probably easier/better to build a
federated delicious, -- but it should not lock itself in :-)

--
Beste helsing,
Odin Hørthe Omdal <odin....@gmail.com>

Blaise Alleyne

Dec 28, 2010, 4:17:33 PM12/28/10
to federated...@googlegroups.com
It might be worth looking at how GNU Social has extended StatusNet, to see if a similar style extension using StatusNet as a basis could make sense. Also, not sure how/if GNU Social folks have extended OStatus.