Gitmarks update

Far McKon

Apr 25, 2011, 9:29:06 PM4/25/11
to federated-bookmarks
Hey folks,
I'm dropping a gitmarks update, since that project spawned off of this
discussion group.

The one sentence version of it is this:
I'd like to freeze gitmarks for a month or two, and work on scuttle
and sparkleshare python port, so we can use those projects as
infrastructure. I am looking for feedback or ideas on that, to see
if anyone else has good input.

Longer verison:
So, I started a tech-tree, and in the process realized a lot of the
tools for gitmarks are wrong. I still think it's a cool project idea,
but the 'direct to firefox plugin' idea isn't going to work so well.

Origional Tech-Tree:
python -> firefox bookmark plugin -> firefox + web -> firefox search
plugin -> take over the world.

New (details below) Tech tree:
python -> service-scraper -> local-search-service -> firefox search
plugin -> firefox bookmark plugin -> take over the world.

In short, getting from 'python land' -> plug-in looks painful, and
very frustrating. On top of that, I do not know enough about the
encryption or backend idea to design well. I think I am going to
freeeze working on gitmarks for a while and work on getting some good
background info and design done. I'd rather leverage other tools to
get that done, rather than rebuld infrastructure from scratch.

= Short term goals: =
1) Lock down gitmarks with some basic alpha functionality
2) Test Sparkle Share* and Scuttle** as infrastructure
3) Decide if we can reuse some of their system for our
infrastructure.

Thoughts? Feedback? Other ideas?

I'm going to move the conversation onto Federated Bookmarks so I don't
have the CC mess, and work from there -> http://groups.google.com/group/federated-bookmarks

- Far

*http://www.bomahy.nl/hylke/blog/sparkleshare-02-rc1-for-linux-and-
mac/