farcry deployment directory structures

Geoff Bowers

Jul 23, 2013, 1:41:14 AM7/23/13
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

Am having a play with the notion of a cloud based platform option for FarCry 7 installations.  Initially this is something I want to run for some of our smaller clients who currently fall into the "Premium Shared Hosting" bucket.  However, there's no reason this couldn't be expanded to anyone interested in running a full blown farcry installation in a no hassle cloud platform.

Something that I need to get a handle on is how people commonly deploy FarCry for their own installations. FarCry is very flexible (perhaps too flexible) in the way it lets you deploy your application.  Despite this flexibility I wonder if there aren't just a few common approaches used by everyone.

Daemon frequently deploys apps as follows:

d:/webapps <- some server location
d:/webapps/mywebapp <- [approot] of an entire app install

[approot]/core <- location for core framework
[approot]/plugins <- all plugins go here
[approot]/projects/mywebapp <-project files

[approot] == /farcry mapping (typically Apache Alias)
[approot]/projects/mywebapp/www <- doc home for website

How do you deploy FarCry?

-- geoff
twitter. @modius

Marco van den Oever

Jul 23, 2013, 3:26:45 AM7/23/13
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Geoff, currently using:

d:/webapps <- some server location
d:/webapps/mywebapp <- [approot] of an entire app install

for multiple websites if owned by different persons.

I would use a single core installation for a larger project with multiple websites owned by one person.

Chris Kent

Jul 23, 2013, 5:33:19 AM7/23/13
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
I use the same configuration.

d:/webapps <- some server location
d:/webapps/mywebapp <- [approot] of an entire app install

[approot]/core <- location for core framework
[approot]/plugins <- all plugins go here
[approot]/projects/mywebapp1 <-project files site 1
[approot]/projects/mywebapp2 <-project files site 2

[approot] == /farcry mapping (typically Apache Alias)
[approot]/projects/mywebapp1/www <- doc home for website 1
[approot]/projects/mywebapp2/www <- doc home for website 2

[approot] == /farcry mapping (typically Apache Alias)
[approot]/projects/mywebapp1/www <- doc home for website 1
[approot]/projects/mywebapp2/www <- doc home for website 2

For development I will duplicate the above where sites are running different versions of FarCry Core. for example
d:/webapps/mywebapp1 <- [approot1] with core at 6-2-10
d:/webapps/mywebapp2 <- [approot2] with core at 6-3-0
d:/webapps/mywebapp3 <- [approot3] with core at 7-0-0

Chris.

ad...@motorspor.com

Jul 23, 2013, 9:41:12 AM7/23/13
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Geoff

Could you explain little bit more about "However, there's no reason this couldn't be expanded to anyone interested in running a full blown farcry installation in a no hassle cloud platform."? I would be interested running in cloud ..

My question is now if we are using ACF Standard in the single box, are we going to be able to run FC6.x and FC 7 in the same box without issues?

Thanks

Tunc
> --
> You received this message cos you are subscribed to "farcry-dev" Google group.
> To post, email: farcr...@googlegroups.com

Chris Kent

Jul 24, 2013, 4:58:35 PM7/24/13
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tunc,

Since v6 (maybe v5 as well) you no longer need to have a CF mapping for FarCry so you can multiple versions of FarCry running on the same server.

Chris.

AJ Mercer

Jul 24, 2013, 6:17:27 PM7/24/13
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Geoff

do you create a mapping for /webtop?

--
You received this message cos you are subscribed to "farcry-dev" Google group.
To post, email: farcr...@googlegroups.com

Geoff Bowers

Jul 24, 2013, 8:50:06 PM7/24/13
to farcr...@googlegroups.com

On 25 July 2013 08:17, AJ Mercer <ajme...@gmail.com> wrote:
do you create a mapping for /webtop?

We normally map /webtop direct to /farcry/core/webtop as an Apache Alias.

GB

Geoff Bowers

Jul 25, 2013, 11:37:53 PM7/25/13
to farcr...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, 23 July 2013 23:41:12 UTC+10, Tunc wrote:
Could you explain little bit more about "However, there's no reason this couldn't be expanded to anyone interested in running a full blown farcry installation in a no hassle cloud platform."? I would be interested running in cloud ..

I'm currently working with Mat on getting a fully functional environment on CloudBees for serious FarCry apps (ie not just a base install) **and** make it easy.

Progress to date:

- get railo running (done)
- get mysql running (done)
- deploy farcry and install (done)
- use S3 for managing all media assets (files and images) (done)
- get friendly URLs going (done)
- dev environment (done)
- data migration to and from dev environment (working on it)
- step by step guide (working on it)

We're pretty damn close.  More on this later in the month.

My question is now if we are using ACF Standard in the single box, are we going to be able to run FC6.x and FC 7 in the same box without issues?

As Chris mentions you've been able to run different versions of FarCry side by side since v5.0.

GB

Pat Moody

Aug 10, 2013, 11:49:01 PM8/10/13
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Geoff,

I'm really keen to give this a go as a development setup first up. Are you able to provide the steps you've created so far? I've just created a CloudBees account to get started. I would like to use the FarCry 7.0 beta and start providing feedback.

Cheers
Pat

Geoff Bowers

Aug 13, 2013, 3:58:49 AM8/13/13
to farcr...@googlegroups.com

On 11 August 2013 13:49, Pat Moody <mood...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm really keen to give this a go as a development setup first up. Are you able to provide the steps you've created so far? I've just created a CloudBees account to get started. I would like to use the FarCry 7.0 beta and start providing feedback.

Sounds great.  I've been trying to find a moment to write up my CloudBees experiences.  Will eventually provide detailed set of steps to a full blown enterprise install.  Will see what I can do this week to get things rolling.

GB