v0.4.0 Released

Christopher Bertels

Aug 30, 2011, 9:39:03 PM8/30/11
to fancy...@googlegroups.com
Hey there,

I just released version 0.4.0 for Fancy.
It's available as a Rubygem here: https://rubygems.org/gems/fancy/

I don't have a real changelog available (might post it later after looking through the history) but basically lots of refactorings, feature additions, bug fixes etc.
The next version (0.5.0) will probably use a new parser written in kpeg, a peg parsing library for Rubinius written by Evan Phoenix. The current version still uses
the c-extension based Bison parser. Vic ported the bootstrap parser to kpeg during #rbxday and I've started porting the self-hosted compiler's parser as well, but it's not done yet and I wanted to get a release out rather sooner than later.

I've been working on some other stuff related to Fancy lately, none of which is public yet.
These include:
    - A GUI toolkit / library written completely in Fancy using the OpenGL c-extension that works on Rubinius.
    - An IDE using that toolkit. Nothing really done here, until I have a decent set of widgets working in the GUI library...

So yeah, it's still a work in progress, and I don't know when this will be mature enough to actually start working on a language environment à la Smalltalk, but at least that's my current plan. Alongside I'll keep working on Fancy, fixing bugs and adding features as needed.
If anyone here is interested in helping out on the GUI stuff, let me know. It's still in a pretty early stage, but I have simple Buttons and a Window skeleton working.

Let me know if you have any questions or feedback.

Cheers,
Christopher.