Latest development update

Christopher Bertels

Mar 3, 2011, 7:12:05 PM3/3/11
to fancy...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give you a small update on what I've been working on for Fancy lately.
It's coming close to a new official release. The next version would be 0.3.0 but I'll probably skip right over to 0.4.0 since it's been a long time since the last release :)

Some of the stuff I've been working on are:

- Solid integration with Rubinius - Call any Ruby library and C-extension that runs on Rubinius
- Support for Threads and Fibers
- Support for Futures - An easy to use alternative for doing async / concurrent operations:
    object @ foo
    Sends the message 'foo' to object asynchronously and immediately returns a Future. To get the value of that async message send do:
    f = object @ foo
    f value # <- get the value. This blocks the current Thread if f hasn't completed computation yet.
- Pygments lexer for Fancy. It will be integrated in the next official release of Pygments (http://pygments.org/) and hopefully we'll have
  syntax highlighting for Fancy on GitHub then (GitHub uses Pygments for their syntax highlighting)
- More work on standard library - New classes, methods etc.
- More work on built-in package manager (still some minor stuff missing - coming soon)
- Started work on new and more flexible pattern matching system. This is still a work in progress, but you can view the changes in the
  It basically will allow users to define custom pattern classes and destructuring semantics while still preserving encapsulation, e.g.
  pattern matching in an object-oriented way. Still have to add syntax support for pattern literals to make using them easy.
- And probably lots more I forgot now

Coming up next (probably after the upcoming release):

- Actors
- First-class async support (probably using Fibers)
- More work on standard library

If you have any questions, feedback or ideas let me know.

Cheers,
Christopher.