Upcoming development

1 view

Christopher Bertels

Jun 23, 2010, 5:12:57 AM6/23/10
to The Fancy Programming Language
Hi,

I just wanted to start a discussion on how to proceed development-wise.

I have talked to the Rubinius ( www.rubini.us ) developers and I think
it would be best to start a branch for developing a Rubinius VM
bytecode compiler for Fancy, possibly as much written in Fancy as
possible, to get it self-hosted as soon as possible. I know that using
the exsisting Rubinius tools (written in Ruby) would help a lot, but
maybe we can easily port them to Fancy somehow. This shouldn't be too
hard, since Fancy and Ruby are quite similar, especially in semantics.

While using the existing tools might be easier in terms of getting
things done, porting them to Fancy first would have the benefit of
being fully self-hosted sooner.

To get things started and familiar with the Rubinius VM, I suggest
start off using the existing tools and play around a little with their
bytecode generator. Once we understand it well enough, we could then
start porting it all to Fancy. This would have the benefit of getting
familiar with the platform first (and getting some real results) and
knowing better how to port stuff afterwards.

So basically I'm suggesting that we'd start of with the Rubinius VM
compiler tools (written in Ruby) and once we feel comfortable with it,
start porting them to Fancy.

We can then use the C++ based interpreter to bootstrap the compiler
and be fully self-hosted (on top of Rubinius).

Opinions? Suggestions?
--
Christopher Bertels