Head templates for Female Characters

Amit Tomar

Sep 28, 2015, 6:57:38 AM9/28/15
to FaceGen
I am using FaceGen's PhotoFit to create 3d-models for my team. I am getting decent results for the males but not so good for the females.

Q1. I tried using different head sets. Are there any particular head-sets which give better results for females ?
Q2. Other than the head sets provided with FaceGen, are there any other sources where I can get other head sets ?
Q3. Is there some relation of head set type with a particular face type ? For e.g. Aqua Model works better with people having longish face ?
Q4. If nothing works out, I am planning to use customizer for creating custom head template for women. Are there different masks (Internal Mean Face) for different face types or I have to use the only one provided with FaceGen customizer ?

FaceGen Guru

Sep 28, 2015, 8:27:39 AM9/28/15
to FaceGen

Hello Amit,

In answer to your questions:

1. There is nothing specifically for this purpose, but please be more specific about the issues you are trying to solve and perhaps I can make a suggestion.

2. Not really, other model sets offered for download on the internet are for compatibility with various applications.

3. Not really, the different model sets we offer are meant to provide different technical specifications rather than different face looks. The idea is that you can get any face look with any mesh (within limits for lores meshes of course).

4. No, the internal mean face is not meant to represent a final look, but is merely a starting point where different meshes can be put in correspondence so that a final look is created with FaceGen statistics. You can create a custom look by adding a delta morph from the FaceGen corresponding shape of your mesh to the look you are trying to achieve. Again though, I can be more specific if you let me know what issue you are trying to solve.

Best wishes,

Peter Buchholz

Sep 28, 2015, 4:35:57 PM9/28/15
to FaceGen
Hello Amit,

what is the purpose you use facegen's photofit? Are you trying to get a final 2d image, or do you need a final 3d model?
I think this is essential to give you better advice.
If 2d is the final purpose photoshop will do the job, if 3d is the final purpose try to refine the look with daz3d or zbrush, both I tried and both work fine for me.

Cheers, Peter

Amit Tomar

Sep 29, 2015, 5:37:58 AM9/29/15
to FaceGen
Thanks Facegen Guru and Peter, for such a prompt response, that clarified a lot of things.

I am trying to generate 3D-Head mesh from images. My problem is mostly with the female faces. Its difficult to describe, but some of them look 'manly' and are hardly recognizable. Even after applying morphs it is difficult to make them look like the original person.

Q1. Will using customizer be of any help in this regard ? and how ?

Q2. Are there any generic settings on the modeler UI side, which give better results with females ?

Q3. Any other guideline/approach you would like to suggest ?

I don't have much expertise in using 3D softwares like ZBrush/Maya etc, so would like to avoid post-processing output generated by FaceGen.

FaceGen Guru

Sep 29, 2015, 8:50:31 AM9/29/15
to FaceGen

Hello Amit,

Posting some images of what you are trying to fix would be the most helpful.

The most common problem with females in FaceGen doesn't have to do with geometry, but the texture images; sometimes they get a bit of beard shadow. You can get rid of this in Modeller by going to the 'Color' tab and adjusting the beard controls to remove any shadowing in the beard area.

Assuming this is what you are experiencing, Customizer will be of no help.

Best wishes,