Exporter manual (online) is not quite clear

John Murphy

Nov 14, 2013, 7:51:53 PM11/14/13
to fac...@googlegroups.com
This is what it says:

Step 1

In the first file selection dialog, select the FaceGen .FG file for the face you want to export:

  1. Run FaceGen Modeller (free or paid version) and create a face.
  2. Select 'File' -> 'Save'.

In the text entry box near the bottom, enter a name for the generated morph target.

Now you're ready to click 'Create Export Files' which will take you to Step 2:

This is not what the SAVE dialog shows.  I can create a .fg file only.  To 'create export files' I must go to the File > Export  in order to create .obj files.  I do so, and have successfully imported and used said exported .obj file in Carrara.  However, I'm trying to use it in DAZ 4.6.

Step 2

Exporter will give you the directory path where it has saved your new morph and your new texture images.

The File > Export option does, in fact, create a .obj file along with supporting image and texture maps.

To apply your exported face shape, restart Daz Studio 4 then:

  1. In the right window, select the 'Parameters' vertical tab.
  2. In the sub-tabs, select 'Actor' -> 'Head' -> 'Universial' -> 'FaceGen'.
  3. Your new control should appear on the right. Move the slider to 1.0.
I go into DAZ 4.6, follow steps 1 and 2, but there is no "FaceGen" option, only "Fantasy Sci-Fi" and "Proportions".  I do not see a way to add FaceGen to the options.  After that, none of the subsequent instructions pertain.

How does DAZ 4.6 even know that I have FaceGen installed?

I have also tried starting FaceGen Exporter directly from the "Start" menu in Windows 7.  I get a dialog box with instructions, which I follow, identify, to the best of my ability, the instructions to export a Genesis figure from DAZ 4.6, then the .fg file I created from the export actions in FaceGen itself.  However, when I click on the "create export file" on that dialog, it tells me it cannot find the DAZ default content folders (referenced in my previous post).

FaceGen Guru

Nov 15, 2013, 8:11:30 AM11/15/13
to fac...@googlegroups.com

Regarding Step 1, the 'Create Export Files' button is in FaceGen Exporter.

So you save the .FG file with Modeller, then you select it from Exporter.

Regarding Step 2, you have to run FaceGen Exporter, select your .FG file and morph name, and hit the 'Create Export Files' button first, then you should see everything described.

I'll try to make the docs clearer on this.

Best wishes,