FaceGen and FaceFX - How to rig a FaceGen Model with bone poses?

Matthew Pickard

Oct 4, 2012, 8:44:08 PM10/4/12
to fac...@googlegroups.com
Hi -

I've been using FaceGen for years now for my research.  Great product.  I am now interesting in using FaceGen models with FaceFX (http://www.facefx.com/).  However, FaceFX requires bone poses instead of morph targets.  Has anyone ever rigged a FaceGen model with bone poses (say, in Maya)?  If so, could you point me in the right direction?  Any good resources on how to do that?

Thanks,

Matt

Matthew Pickard

Dec 5, 2012, 1:24:12 PM12/5/12
to fac...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to follow up and see if anyone has any ideas on this.

Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction by guiding me to where I can access the exported FaceGen morphs (e.g., Phoneme__B_M_P, Anger, etc.) in Maya.  In other words, how do I manipulate those morphs in Maya?

TC

Dec 5, 2012, 4:55:05 PM12/5/12
to fac...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

There are ways to drive the joint rig using the blendshapes as the drivers.
I don't have a link for you but there is a wealth of material out there as this is a commonly used technique.

TC

Dec 5, 2012, 4:59:33 PM12/5/12
to fac...@googlegroups.com
Assuming the morph targets have not been deleted after the blendshape was created, the geo should be in your scene but perhaps hidden.

Using the menus,
Edit/Select All By Type/Polygons
Display/Show/Show Selection

Then you should see all the geo and can do whatever it is you want.

Apologies if this has not answered your question.

Pierre Gagné

Oct 15, 2013, 9:48:14 PM10/15/13
to fac...@googlegroups.com
For rigging a face with bones, I can suggest Digital Tutors at www.digitaltutors.com and look for their tutorial titled "Quick Start to Rigging in Maya: Volume 4"