generating face-spaces

Jackson Liang

Jan 9, 2017, 12:06:16 PM1/9/17
to FaceGen
Hello,

FYI, only tinkering with Demo versions right now, but trying to determine what is the optimal purchase.

I am trying to generate a 2D grid-like "face-space", where each face varies primarily along two specific shape dimensions. Given that each shape dimension/slider is statistically related to one another, this is obviously not a straightforward task. However, here is my workflow thus far:

1) Identify shape sliders that are relatively "independent" (i.e., move each other very little or not at all).
2) With each pair of "independent" sliders, generate the four corners of the face grid by alternately saving out faces where the two sliders are at -10/-10, -10/+10, +10/-10, and +10/+10.
3) Use the tween function to interpolate between the four corners to generate the border of the face grid.
4) Use the tween function to interpolate between the border faces, filling in the rest of the grid.
5) Re-open each face in the grid, rotate the face to a specific orientation, and save out the current view as a TIF image, for future photo-manipulation via Photoshop, etc.

A few questions regarding the above:

Regarding Step 1: I have accepted the reality that even two "independent" sliders will shift many nearby face vertices.
Steps 3 and 4 are complicated by the fact that the tween slider cannot be specified numerically, though I can get stable "set" values by clicking the ends of the slider. Is there numerical control in any version of the software?
Step 5 is complicated by the fact that camera/face orientation also cannot be specified numerically. Is this present in any version of the software?
I also need full head images, rather than just the face. Which versions of the software can do this?
Finally, this workflow is prone to human error with all of the repetitive mouse-clicks involved. Any tips to automate this process or to make the workflow more efficient in general would be greatly appreciated. Based on another thread here it appears there is some command-line functionality that would help here, but I am not familiar with the process or cost at all.

Thank you for your time!

FaceGen Guru

Jan 9, 2017, 4:46:21 PM1/9/17
to FaceGen

Hello Jackson,

FaceGen Modeller Pro allows you to specify exact numerical values for all controls including tween values and camera pan / tilt.

All versions of Modeller allow you to to view the full head by default (select the 'Animate' tab from 'Model Sets' if not currently selected).

Full automation is possible with our SDK. Email us for more information.

Best wishes,