Introduction into this group

Peter Buchholz

Mar 27, 2014, 2:42:08 PM3/27/14
to fac...@googlegroups.com
Hello to all facegen users, I like to introduct myself here in this group.

My name is Peter and I work for the German Police in Hannover / Lower Saxony. I do facial composite every day, and meanwhile I use facegen nearly every day to create more than one facial composite a day.

Facegen is a really great software for creating faces not only for facial composite and I would like to offer my help making it better in future. So if you have any idea how I can help you feel free to contact me. I am experienced in beta testing, so I was beta tester for Cinema 4D from Maxon Computer for a long time. Maybe I can help you translating the new version into German language or finding bugs in my every day work.

That's all for now, I will post my suggestions here in this forum and I hope some of these will find its place in the new version.

Thank you very much for reading. And sorry for my english, it is not as it should be.

Peter

Andrew Beatty

Mar 28, 2014, 5:58:39 AM3/28/14
to fac...@googlegroups.com

Hi Peter, thank you for your feedback.

I would be very interested in hearing more about your use of FaceGen for this work.

Here are a few questions:

Do you mainly create bald heads using FaceGen and perhaps composite hair outside FaceGen ?

Which controls do you find the most useful for creating a likeness ?

Is the ability to rotate the face in 3D a key feature for you ?

Best wishes,

|--------------------------------------
| Andrew Beatty,
| Singular Inversions Inc.
| +1 416-932-9587 (EST / UTC-5)
| www.FaceGen.com
|--------------------------------------

Peter Buchholz

Mar 28, 2014, 6:27:33 AM3/28/14
to fac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

thanks for your feedback.

Yes, I create heads using facegen, mostly front view, but sometimes in 3/4 view or, very seldom, from side view. Sometimes, I use a view from top to simulate the angle of view, my This depends on from which angle my witness saw the offender. So 3D is very important for me and my daily work.

After the head is done in facegen, I add hair and other features (aging, wrinkles etc.)  in photoshop.

Your question regarding the controls I will answer a little bit later, cause I am in a hurry at the moment.

If you like I send you some examples of pictures done in facegen.

Best regards,
Peter

Peter Buchholz

Apr 2, 2014, 2:41:50 PM4/2/14
to fac...@googlegroups.com
To the most useful controls for facial composite:

Facial composite is always an approach to come as close to face as possible, so the controls regarding the overall shape are the most important. Its nearly impossible to get a result that is exactly the same as the real person.

Detail texture is very important to achieve a realistic looking face.
Next very important sliders are Male/Female, Age (could be a little more in both directions), and extremly useful Race Morphing to achieve ethnic differences. I noticed that South Asian is perfect for creating people from south east europe.

Next very useful are the sliders from the shape tab to define the details of the shape as well as the sliders from the Colour Tab.

Genetic is very useful to create similar looking faces, to let the witness decide which is closer to the real person.

Last very useful is the Morph Tab to quickly create the needed expression.

Eyes are always a problem because they are really hard to adjust without distorting them in an unnatural way. So I paint them most of the time from scratch in photoshop to get a realistic look.

Hope that helps you a little bit.

Best regards,
Peter

Peter Buchholz

Apr 22, 2014, 1:57:14 PM4/22/14
to fac...@googlegroups.com
Here is a comparison between facegen and my kind of finishing it.

M Patience

Apr 24, 2014, 11:18:50 AM4/24/14
to fac...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic job Peter!