External Helm Repository

Matthew Ceroni

Aug 14, 2017, 7:40:20 PM8/14/17
to fabric8
I currently utilized Helm to deploy all my components. From what I can tell Fabric8 ability to generate helm charts is fairly limited. If I simply wanted to use the fabric8:deploy target, could I have it reference an external repository containing the helm chart?

The reason I would want to do this is so that developers could simply call mvn fabric8:deploy and have it invoke the helm chart vs having to have them know how to actually use helm.

Claus Ibsen

Aug 15, 2017, 12:17:09 AM8/15/17
to Matthew Ceroni, fabric8
Hi

I dont think deploying helm charts is supported in the maven plugin.
Its more about generation helm chart files, which you can then import
into an existing helm repository.

I am not sure if the f-m-p plugin is intended as the
one-tool-to-rule-them-all for developers on kubernetes.
> --

Claus Ibsen
-----------------
http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

James Strachan

Aug 15, 2017, 3:48:51 AM8/15/17
to Matthew Ceroni, fabric8
On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 12:40 AM, Matthew Ceroni <matthe...@gmail.com> wrote:
I currently utilized Helm to deploy all my components. From what I can tell Fabric8 ability to generate helm charts is fairly limited.

How so? We should raise an issue for any limitations you hit.

If I simply wanted to use the fabric8:deploy target, could I have it reference an external repository containing the helm chart?

The reason I would want to do this is so that developers could simply call mvn fabric8:deploy and have it invoke the helm chart vs having to have them know how to actually use helm.

Up to now we've assumed that `mvn fabric8:deploy` was purely to deploy the generated YAML for kubernetes/openshift; if folks are wanting to use helm then we'd be using the helm CLI to install/deploy the app.

There's no easy/obvious way to know if a user wants to use helm or not inside `mvn fabric8:deploy`. We've taken the approach of generating a kubernetes YAML, an OpenShift Template and a Helm chart for the same app - so depending on what kind of cluster and tools the consumer wants to use; they've all they need so that app producers can support all approaches. (e.g. some consumers want OpenShift Templates, others Helm charts, others vanilla kubernetes YAML/JSON etc).

Maybe we need a `mvn fabric8:deploy-chart` or something like that which under the covers would use the helm CLI to deploy the app?

--
James
-------

Twitter: @jstrachan
Email: james.s...@gmail.com
Blog: https://medium.com/@jstrachan/

open source development platform

open source event based lambda programming