FAQ entry on fabric8 versus openshift.io

James Strachan

May 8, 2017, 11:15:35 AM5/8/17
to fab...@googlegroups.com
You may have heard about the Red Hat announcement about openshift.io:

which was introduced in this demo:

there's more background here:

To help understand the current differences betwen the two I've created a FAQ:

Essentially fabric8 is the upstream open source project for openshift.io. Fabric8 and openshift.io will always be a little different; fabric8 is an upstream open source project which is more modular and with a broader scope and openshift.io is a hosted SaaS offering but I'm hoping over time lots of the underlying components align closely which helps both upstream and the hosted solution. e.g. share the same UI console!

Though there are quite a few major differences right now as we've not yet moved all the new open source from openshift.io into an easy to consume fabric8 package; but hopefully in the coming weeks we'll align things much more closely - the FAQ contains the detailed breakdown of the differences.

Let us know if anything's not yet clear & hopefully things look pretty similar soon...

--
James
-------

Twitter: @jstrachan
Email: james.s...@gmail.com
Blog: https://medium.com/@jstrachan/

open source development platform

open source event based lambda programming

ilter P

May 8, 2017, 10:08:28 PM5/8/17
to fabric8
Hi James,

Thanks for the good documentation. It is really great to see where your work is leading to such a huge software lifecyle ecosystem.
One question, are you planning to put fabric8-online as part of gofabric8 installation or is it going to be completely isolated ?

Regards

James Strachan

May 9, 2017, 3:27:50 AM5/9/17
to ilter P, fabric8
On 9 May 2017 at 03:08, ilter P <ilterp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi James,

Thanks for the good documentation. It is really great to see where your work is leading to such a huge software lifecyle ecosystem.

thanks!

One question, are you planning to put fabric8-online as part of gofabric8 installation or is it going to be completely isolated ?

We're still working out the details; initially we made the fabric8-online repo as its the 'SaaS' flavour which is a little different to the standard 'fabric8-platform' packaging; but I'm hoping we can mostly merge them all together really.

Regards