fabric8 console route certificate issue

ibrahim dursun

Jul 5, 2015, 1:00:13 PM7/5/15
to fab...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks for the awesome work you have done with fabric8. I have done vagrant installation and everything works great.

I wanted to install the same setup on an ubuntu server on digitalocean to understand architecture even better. I have created a DNS record with wildcard subdomains and installed OpenShift Origin v1. Everything works fine.

I have installed fabric8 and created routes to the service. I see fabric8 console is being loaded at http://fabric8.mydomain.com but websocket connections are showing the following error in the browser console. "fabric8 WebSocket opening handshake was canceled". I have done some googling and found out that it might be related to SSL certificates. I wanted to add a secure route to fabric8 console but couldn't figure out how.

My problem might be different than what I suspect. It would be great if you guys can show me some pointers.

Thanks.

James Strachan

Jul 6, 2015, 4:00:29 AM7/6/15
to ibrahim dursun, fab...@googlegroups.com
We've yet to create great documentation around this but we found issues with trusting the Certificate Authority were causing browser issues when running the fabric8 console on Google's GKE. I wonder if you explicitly trust the ca.crt file from your OpenShift installation in your browser it helps? (e.g. in Preferences -> advanced -> Manage certificates... ) then try dragging the ca.crt file in there and saying you accept the CA?

Does the browser try and redirect you to the OpenShift login page? (Does reloading help? :)

James
-------
Red Hat

Twitter: @jstrachan
Email: james.s...@gmail.com
hawtio: http://hawt.io/

Open Source DevOps and Integration

ibrahim dursun

Jul 6, 2015, 3:52:44 PM7/6/15
to fab...@googlegroups.com, ibrahim...@gmail.com
Hi James,

It does redirect to openshift login page and then shows the connection is insecure warning, and immediately redirects to fabric8 console. I see html and css is loaded but the loading icon stays forever and browser console contains errors:

Failed to load resource: net::ERR_INSECURE_RESPONSE https://fabric8.mydomainnamehere.com:8443/api/v1/namespaces

and many other

Adding ca.cert to browser doesn't help either. It fails with the following error: sec_error_untrusted_issuer

I am not expert at this, but i have tried to create certificates (not sure if i have to) for server but it also didn't help.

ibrahim dursun

Jul 6, 2015, 4:34:33 PM7/6/15
to fab...@googlegroups.com, ibrahim...@gmail.com
Hi!

I have finally made it work. What I have done was to enable SELinux on CentOS. Fabric8 console is loading with some error in console but I am ok with that.

Thanks.

6 Temmuz 2015 Pazartesi 11:00:29 UTC+3 tarihinde James Strachan yazdı:
We've yet to create great documentation around this but we found issues with trusting the Certificate Authority were causing browser issues when running the fabric8 console on Google's GKE. I wonder if you explicitly trust the ca.crt file from your OpenShift installation in your browser it helps? (e.g. in Preferences -> advanced -> Manage certificates... ) then try dragging the ca.crt file in there and saying you accept the CA?

James Strachan

Jul 7, 2015, 5:34:35 AM7/7/15
On 6 July 2015 at 20:52, ibrahim dursun <ibrahim...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi James,

It does redirect to openshift login page and then shows the connection is insecure warning, and immediately redirects to fabric8 console.

I've seen this too - its a PITA!

So you never got chance to actually login with user/password right? If so hit reload on the browser and it should take you back to the Advanced page then you should be able to click Advanced -> Proceed -> then it should redirect to the login page?

I see html and css is loaded but the loading icon stays forever and browser console contains errors:

Failed to load resource: net::ERR_INSECURE_RESPONSE https://fabric8.mydomainnamehere.com:8443/api/v1/namespaces

and many other

Adding ca.cert to browser doesn't help either. It fails with the following error: sec_error_untrusted_issuer

I wish kubernetes used a trusted certificate authority or something so things worked OOTB. I'm not sure how else we can fix this TBH - its currently quite painful.

ibrahim dursun

Jul 7, 2015, 5:56:47 PM7/7/15
to fab...@googlegroups.com, ibrahim...@gmail.com
Yes it is exactly what happens. Even though it works, sometimes I see websocket errors in the browser console and refreshing fixes that too. I hope it gets better.

Thanks for taking time to reply. Keep up the good work!