Minikube & gofabric8

cmou...@redhat.com

Jul 5, 2016, 2:16:09 AM7/5/16
to fabric8
Hi,

In order to use gofabric8 with a kubernetes platform a username / password is required

docker@minikubeVM:~$ gofabric8 --insecure-skip-tls-verify -s https://192.168.99.100:443 --username --domain=vagrant.f8 deploy

Could not initialise a client - is your server setting correct?
the server has asked for the client to provide credentials

As such user / password is not defined by default with minikube, how can we use gofabric8 ?

Regards,

Charles

James Strachan

Jul 5, 2016, 3:01:59 AM7/5/16
to Charles Moulliard, fabric8
I've been using gofabric8 with minikube via:

    gofabric8 deploy -y --domain=vagrant.mk

just make sure before you use gofabric8 you can use kubectl first. e.g.

    kubectl get node

If that works then gofabric8 will be able to connect properly.

James
-------
Red Hat

Twitter: @jstrachan
Email: james.s...@gmail.com
Blog: https://medium.com/@jstrachan/

open source microservices platform

James Strachan

Jul 5, 2016, 3:05:08 AM7/5/16
to Charles Moulliard, fabric8
Note that you cannot yet use the console with minikube; I'm hoping to get that fixed this week

cmou...@redhat.com

Jul 5, 2016, 3:25:40 AM7/5/16
to fabric8
I can use gofabric8 outside of the VM machine from the MacOS machine. This problem (auth issue) only occurs when we try to use gofabric8 inside the minikuve VM

minikube ssh
gofabric8 --insecure-skip-tls-verify -s https://192.168.99.100:443 --domain=vagrant.f8 deploy
Please enter Username: minikube
Please enter Password: minikube
Could not initialise a client - is your server setting correct?

the server has asked for the client to provide credentials

Additional questions:

- As a template is an OpenShift Kubernetes extension, can we use them with minikube ?
- Is there a reason why we can't see the routes with Minikube

kubectl get pods
NAME                  READY     STATUS              RESTARTS   AGE
elasticsearch-e93lm   0/2       ContainerCreating   0          41s
fabric8-nar82         2/2       Running             0          6m
ingress-nginx-cbwoh   0/1       ContainerCreating   0          6m
kibana-2pehr          0/2       ContainerCreating   0          41s
dabou-macosx:~/Downloads/kubernetes-1.3.0/platforms/darwin/amd64$ kubectl get services
NAME                    CLUSTER-IP   EXTERNAL-IP   PORT(S)    AGE
elasticsearch           10.0.0.33    <pending>     9200/TCP   46s
elasticsearch-masters   None         <pending>     9300/TCP   45s
fabric8                 10.0.0.21    <pending>     80/TCP     6m
jenkinshift             10.0.0.116   <pending>     80/TCP     6m
kibana                  10.0.0.222   <pending>     80/TCP     45s
kubernetes              10.0.0.1     <none>        443/TCP    1h
dabou-macosx:~/Downloads/kubernetes-1.3.0/platforms/darwin/amd64$ kubectl get routes
the server doesn't have a resource type "routes"

James Strachan

Jul 5, 2016, 3:31:24 AM7/5/16
On 5 July 2016 at 08:25, <cmou...@redhat.com> wrote:
I can use gofabric8 outside of the VM machine from the MacOS machine. This problem (auth issue) only occurs when we try to use gofabric8 inside the minikuve VM

Never tried using gofabric8 inside the VM - why would you want to? minikube & gofabric8 are intended to be used on your host really.

minikube ssh
gofabric8 --insecure-skip-tls-verify -s https://192.168.99.100:443 --domain=vagrant.f8 deploy
Please enter Username: minikube
Please enter Password: minikube
Could not initialise a client - is your server setting correct?

the server has asked for the client to provide credentials

Additional questions:

- As a template is an OpenShift Kubernetes extension, can we use them with minikube ?

No - thats what gofabric8 is for; to apply our templates.

- Is there a reason why we can't see the routes with Minikube

Routes are an OpenShift thing.

Kubernetes has ingress. We don't use ingress by default - though you can use --ingress in gofabric8 to enable it. (Try gofabric8 help deploy). Though I've no idea if ingress works in minikube yet; given its a single install on your laptop I'm not sure ingress is really required TBH. You can access services on the ${scheme}://$(minikube ip):${serviceNodePort}

See the new 'minikube service foo' command from Jimmi thats in master & should hopefully make the next minikube release.

Roland Huss

Jul 5, 2016, 3:44:01 AM7/5/16
to fab...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles,

> On 5 July 2016 at 08:25, <cmou...@redhat.com
> <mailto:cmou...@redhat.com>> wrote:
>
> I can use gofabric8 outside of the VM machine from the MacOS
> machine. This problem (auth issue) only occurs when we try to use
> gofabric8 inside the minikuve VM
>

> Never tried using gofabric8 inside the VM - why would you want to?
> minikube & gofabric8 are intended to be used on your host really.

When you are running from within minikube you would need to setup your
kubectl context as you would do from the outside. But AFAIK there is no
kubectl included in minikube, so I wonder what you are trying to achieve
? Also how did you get the gofabric8 into the VM ?

... roland

Mats Svefors

Jul 7, 2016, 2:20:21 AM7/7/16
to fabric8, cmou...@redhat.com

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 9:05:08 AM UTC+2, James Strachan wrote:
Note that you cannot yet use the console with minikube; I'm hoping to get that fixed this week

I created https://github.com/fabric8io/fabric8-console/issues/189 wrt the console/minikube issue.

But I realise now that maybe it is a minikube rather than a fabric console issue?

James Strachan

Jul 28, 2016, 11:00:41 AM7/28/16
to fabric8, cmou...@redhat.com
It took much longer than I would have hoped, but we can now use the fabric8 developer console on both minikube and minishift. (Thanks Jimmi for figuring out the kuisp websocket proxy stuff!)

Here's the docs:

minikube: