tips on writing quickstarts and keeping their maven dependency and plugins up to date

James Strachan

Jul 8, 2016, 4:33:19 AM7/8/16
to fab...@googlegroups.com
We're in the process of migrating all our quickstarts over to the new shiny combined fabric8 maven plugin (which includes the docker maven plugin internally).

As part of this migration we're also moving each quickstart into its own separate git repository here:

As we port each quickstart over to the new plugin we're moving it into this organisation.

All the old fabric8 maven plugin quickstarts are still here:

Moving the quickstarts to separate git repos helps in a number of ways

* its easier to browse & grok the quickstarts on the fabric8-quickstarts organisation:

* each quickstart does not inherit anything from a parent pom which ensures the quickstart is stand alone, explicit, easier to grok and can be more easily incorporated into any organisations project structure. Most teams already have their own parent pom.xml they want to use with common stuff in there like common dependencies, plugins, repositories, distributions etc

The downside from the fabric8 project perspective is that this means we've now loads more git repos to keep track of and maintain. Thankfully Fabric8 CI/CD has come to the rescue!

We've now got a new project and Jenkins pipeline to align maven dependency and plugin versions across the quickstarts. Rather than modifying versions in a particular quickstart; we can just update them in the fabric8-maven-dependencies project instead.

I've documented it as best I can so you can find out the gory details:

Also when we release projects like fabric8io/fabric8 or fabric8io/fabric8-maven-plugin they submit a PR to the fabric8-maven-dependencies to automatically keep everything in sync too.

If you create or work on a quickstart please read the guide:

that'll hopefully help us automate the management of the quickstarts and the generation of the archetypes etc!

--
James
-------

Twitter: @jstrachan