CI/CD now possible on my MBA using minishift

Seahope

Jul 25, 2016, 7:13:53 AM7/25/16
to fabric8
At last I can now run fabric8 on my laptop.  Nice jobs guys!

I did have problems refreshing using the openshift and kubernetes approaches though. I managed to get the openshift approach to work with manual tweaks, but not the kubernetes vagrant approach, which I assume is now depreciated anyway?

I did notice that some documentation needs to be changed for when using minishift e.g. for how to deploy quickstart apps from maven.

This has been an issue for a while now, but when stopping minishft the projects I had created from the GUI lose their source code. The default set-up really should include a permanent volume for storing local git files or warn people ;-) I need to import a GitHub project and see what happens then, but as I need to stop minishift to run my work Windows VM this is an issue for me.

Regards

Steve

Claus Ibsen

Jul 25, 2016, 10:10:44 AM7/25/16
to Seahope, fabric8
Hi

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 1:13 PM, Seahope <stev...@gmail.com> wrote:
> At last I can now run fabric8 on my laptop. Nice jobs guys!
>
> I did have problems refreshing using the openshift and kubernetes approaches
> though. I managed to get the openshift approach to work with manual tweaks,
> but not the kubernetes vagrant approach, which I assume is now depreciated
> anyway?

Likely so. I have not yet had the chance to try the mini kube/shift,
but the word on the street is that it runs better and requires less
resources to run on your laptop.

It surely makes it easier if all you need is to download a binary and
run it (fingers crossed the word is not that easy, but surely easier
than before).

> I did notice that some documentation needs to be changed for when using
> minishift e.g. for how to deploy quickstart apps from maven.

Ah thanks. You are welcome to log that in a ticket, and/or help update
the docs. We love github PRs.

> This has been an issue for a while now, but when stopping minishft the
> projects I had created from the GUI lose their source code. The default
> set-up really should include a permanent volume for storing local git files
> or warn people ;-) I need to import a GitHub project and see what happens
> then, but as I need to stop minishift to run my work Windows VM this is an
> issue for me.

Yeah persistent storage is on the roadmap and I think the guys have
this as a high priority now.

> Regards
>
> Steve
>
> --

Claus Ibsen
-----------------
http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

Antonin Stefanutti

Jul 25, 2016, 10:19:53 AM7/25/16
to Seahope, fabric8, Claus Ibsen
Hi Steve,

> On 25 Jul 2016, at 16:10, Claus Ibsen <claus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 1:13 PM, Seahope <stev...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This has been an issue for a while now, but when stopping minishft the
>> projects I had created from the GUI lose their source code. The default
>> set-up really should include a permanent volume for storing local git files
>> or warn people ;-) I need to import a GitHub project and see what happens
>> then, but as I need to stop minishift to run my work Windows VM this is an
>> issue for me.
>>

> Yeah persistent storage is on the roadmap and I think the guys have
> this as a high priority now.

You can track progress on persistent state for CI/CD apps here:

https://github.com/fabric8io/fabric8/issues/4413

Hopefully we’ll have a solution soon :)

Antonin

James Strachan

Jul 28, 2016, 3:33:40 AM7/28/16
to Seahope, fabric8
On 25 July 2016 at 12:13, Seahope <stev...@gmail.com> wrote:
At last I can now run fabric8 on my laptop.  Nice jobs guys!

I did have problems refreshing using the openshift and kubernetes approaches though. I managed to get the openshift approach to work with manual tweaks, but not the kubernetes vagrant approach, which I assume is now depreciated anyway?

We hope to deprecate Vagrant once everything's totally working. Currently things are pretty much there now with minishift I think (we had some issues when not running the router, which isn't really needed on a local 1 node install). There's a pending issue with the console on minikube which will hopefully be fixed really soon now.

BTW the first spike at docs on minishift is here:

was there anything wrong with those docs; am wondering what the manual tweaks were.

I did notice that some documentation needs to be changed for when using minishift e.g. for how to deploy quickstart apps from maven.

Agreed - I think thats more a case of updating the docs to use the 3.x version of fabric8-maven-plugin; we've migrated most of our quickstarts over to the new plugin (along with moving them into separate stand alone git repos that are easier to fork & reuse):

Whether using minishift or vagrant, the use of kubernetes-client, oc, kubectl and fabric8-maven-client should work about the same; the main difference is with minishift you use "minishift service foo" to open a URL to a service.

e.g. to open the fabric8 console its

    minishift service fabric8

Or to get the URL

    minishift service fabric8 --url

This has been an issue for a while now, but when stopping minishft the projects I had created from the GUI lose their source code. The default set-up really should include a permanent volume for storing local git files or warn people ;-) I need to import a GitHub project and see what happens then, but as I need to stop minishift to run my work Windows VM this is an issue for me.

Yeah, as Antonin said we hope to have Persistent Volume / Persistent Volume Claims enabled by default OOTB very soon

Regards

Steve

James
-------
Red Hat

Twitter: @jstrachan
Email: james.s...@gmail.com
Blog: https://medium.com/@jstrachan/

open source microservices platform

James Strachan

Jul 28, 2016, 11:03:33 AM7/28/16
to Seahope, fabric8
On 28 July 2016 at 08:33, James Strachan <james.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 25 July 2016 at 12:13, Seahope <stev...@gmail.com> wrote:
At last I can now run fabric8 on my laptop.  Nice jobs guys!

I did have problems refreshing using the openshift and kubernetes approaches though. I managed to get the openshift approach to work with manual tweaks, but not the kubernetes vagrant approach, which I assume is now depreciated anyway?

We hope to deprecate Vagrant once everything's totally working. Currently things are pretty much there now with minishift I think (we had some issues when not running the router, which isn't really needed on a local 1 node install). There's a pending issue with the console on minikube which will hopefully be fixed really soon now.

BTW the first spike at docs on minishift is here:

was there anything wrong with those docs; am wondering what the manual tweaks were.

BTW the minikube docs are here now too:

I've updated the overview page to try nudge folks towards minikube/minishift and away from VirtualBox/Vagrant as minikube/minishift are much leaner meaner and use way less resources.