ingress external auth

vito21

Nov 23, 2016, 4:46:07 PM11/23/16
to fabric8
Hello all,

i`m currently testing the exposing of services with ingress and external auth like here described:

so i specified following ingress resource:

apiVersion: extensions/v1beta1
kind: Ingress
metadata:
  annotations:
  name: ingress-monitoring
  namespace: monitoring
spec:
  #tls:
  #- hosts:
  #  secretName: example-tls
  rules:
    http:
      paths:
      - path: /
        backend:
          serviceName: prometheus-svc
          servicePort: 9090
      - path: /alertmanager
        backend:
          serviceName: alertmanager
          servicePort: 9093
    http:
      paths:
      - path: /
        backend:
          serviceName: grafana
          servicePort: 3000

prometheus and grafana are accesible without any redirection or authentication to the external configured url.

could any one point me in right direction where i making mistakes? Are the fabric8 included ingress able to use external auth?

Thanks

Roland Huss

Nov 24, 2016, 6:50:13 AM11/24/16
to fab...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

the fabric8 ingress controller, which actually is the standard Nginx
provided by https://github.com/nginxinc/kubernetes-ingress controller,
does not support these annotations (afais).

These annotations seems to be specific to the Kubernetes contributed
Ingress controller at
https://github.com/kubernetes/contrib/tree/master/ingress/controllers/nginx

I wonder, whether fabric8 should switch to this controller as on a first
sight it seems to support more options ?

regards ...
... roland

vito21

Nov 24, 2016, 7:42:36 AM11/24/16
to fabric8
Thanks for your answer.

i had a deeper look in it. And yes you are going right. The mentioned nginx does not support this annotations. :-( Also the kubernetes ingress support many additional features for example:

exposing tcp services
exposing udp services
auth external
auth basic

maybe fabric8 will switch to the kubernetes ingress in the future?

Jasmine Hegman

Jan 17, 2017, 1:59:43 PM1/17/17
to fabric8
For fabric8's exposecontroller to switch one important factor is Ingress vs ConfigMap.

The contrib nginx Ingress Controller does not support Ingress objects, but only ConfigMaps right now.

Fabric8's exposecontroller DOES provide the ability to modify ConfigMaps, but I think they have to be manually created with a special annotation that gets picked up. https://github.com/fabric8io/exposecontroller#configmap