Fabric8 on OpenShift vs on Kubernetes

Krzysztof Sobkowiak

Mar 26, 2017, 3:42:28 PM3/26/17
to fabric8
Hi

Do you see any benefits when using Fabric8 on OpenShift over using it on vanilla Kubernetes? As far as I know Fabric8 uses Kubernetes interface. So my question whether there is any added value to use it on OpenShift.

Kindly regards
Krzysztof

--
Krzysztof Sobkowiak (@ksobkowiak)

James Strachan

Mar 27, 2017, 3:14:32 AM3/27/17
to Krzysztof Sobkowiak, fabric8
OpenShift is Red Hat's distribution of Kubernetes; so they are intentionally quite similar. The main difference is OpenShift adds OAuth & RBAC and a number of security features (e.g. avoiding the exposing of the docker socket which many see as a security issue) plus you can get commercial support for OpenShift together with the underlying operating systems, images and middleware.

James
-------
Red Hat

Twitter: @jstrachan
Email: james.s...@gmail.com
Blog: https://medium.com/@jstrachan/

open source development platform

open source event based lambda programming

Sobkowiak Krzysztof

James Strachan

Mar 27, 2017, 4:34:27 AM3/27/17
to Sobkowiak Krzysztof, fabric8
The main difference is when deployed on OpenShift then fabric8 will default to using OpenShift S2I binary builds so it won't need access to the docker socket. Also Jenkins Jobs and Builds get sync'd to OpenShift BuildConfig and Build resources so that  you can view them with the `oc` CLI. So there are differences; but they are very similar.