[Haskell-cafe] ANN: Tutorial on information visualization and visual analytics in Haskell

Jefferson Heard

Aug 9, 2008, 2:31:06 PM8/9/08
to haskell-cafe
This is the tutorial I'll be presenting at DEFUN 2008. I'll be
building a site around it until then, complete with compilable code
examples, but I thought I would let everyone get a sneak peek at the
long version of the tutorial before I'm done with it. The code is as
yet untested, and keep in mind, advanced Haskellers, that I'm
purposefully simplifying some things to be understood by the beginner
to the intermediate Haskeller. Comments and questions are welcome and
encouraged. Please do ignore typos in the inline code for now,
though, as I'll be spending this week testing it out and making sure
everything works.

The link is:

http://bluheron.europa.renci.org/docs/BeautifulCode.pdf

-- Jeff

Bryan O'Sullivan

Aug 10, 2008, 12:13:26 AM8/10/08
to Jefferson Heard, haskell-cafe
On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Jefferson Heard
<jefferso...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll be
> building a site around it until then, complete with compilable code
> examples, but I thought I would let everyone get a sneak peek at the
> long version of the tutorial before I'm done with it.

That's a beautiful piece of work. I'm looking forward to seeing the talk!

Don Stewart

Aug 10, 2008, 12:50:22 AM8/10/08
to haskel...@haskell.org
jefferson.r.heard:

> This is the tutorial I'll be presenting at DEFUN 2008. I'll be
> building a site around it until then, complete with compilable code
> examples, but I thought I would let everyone get a sneak peek at the
> long version of the tutorial before I'm done with it. The code is as
> yet untested, and keep in mind, advanced Haskellers, that I'm
> purposefully simplifying some things to be understood by the beginner
> to the intermediate Haskeller. Comments and questions are welcome and
> encouraged. Please do ignore typos in the inline code for now,
> though, as I'll be spending this week testing it out and making sure
> everything works.
>
> The link is:
>
> http://bluheron.europa.renci.org/docs/BeautifulCode.pdf

This is a beautiful piece of work, Jefferson!

And maybe a nice time to mention that Jefferson will be presenting,
along with some other leading lights in the community, at DEFUN, our
first developer-oriented workshop at ICFP.

http://www.deinprogramm.de/defun-2008/

So if the ICFP theory-heavy schedule seems a bit dry to you, consider
registering for the DEFUN tutorials, and come away having built some
beautiful code in Haskell.

-- Don

Jefferson Heard

Aug 10, 2008, 1:47:12 PM8/10/08
to haskell-cafe
As is always the case with anything you release to the public, I've
discovered inconsistencies and typos in the text since I released it.
I've tried to clean up all the typos I could find. Still working on
the code, but there's a new edition out there on the website.

--
I try to take things like a crow; war and chaos don't always ruin a
picnic, they just mean you have to be careful what you swallow.

-- Jessica Edwards

Warren Aldred

Aug 10, 2008, 2:29:52 PM8/10/08
to haskell-cafe
Hi all,

I'm new to Haskell and looking for recommendations on introductory Haskell
books. Online or offline. Any suggestions?

Thanks kindly,
Warren

Philip Neustrom

Aug 10, 2008, 2:49:47 PM8/10/08
to Warren Aldred, haskell-cafe
Yup! You should check out this page on the Haskell wiki:
http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Books_and_tutorials It has links to
lists of commonly recommended books and tutorials.

Personally, I like "Yet Another Haskell Tutorial" alongside "The
Haskell School of Expression" (book).

Best,
Philip Neustrom

Thomas M. DuBuisson

Aug 10, 2008, 4:05:05 PM8/10/08
to Warren Aldred, haskell-cafe
I know someone else is going to say it, so I may as well beat them to
the punch:

Real World Haskell isn't released yet, but beta chapters are available
online at book.realworldhaskell.org/beta

As for me, I learned though the Yet Another Haskell tutorial, Haskell
School of Expression (book), Haskell: The Craft of Functional
Programming (book), and plenty of playing around.

Tom

Jefferson Heard

Aug 10, 2008, 5:56:51 PM8/10/08
to Justin Bailey, haskell-cafe
The final version will have graphics from the code that I present,
yes, as well as from other projects I've done in Haskell in
information visualization. As for the comments next to the Haskell
Code, no -- there was no special tool involved. Sadly, I wrote the
entire document in Word 2007, as it was the best tool I had at hand.
After coming up with a template, I had basically everything I needed,
and it was going to be less work than tweaking LaTeX to do exactly
what I wanted to do with the code.

--
I try to take things like a crow; war and chaos don't always ruin a
picnic, they just mean you have to be careful what you swallow.

-- Jessica Edwards

Ye

Benjamin L.Russell

Aug 11, 2008, 12:13:00 AM8/11/08
to haskel...@haskell.org
On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:29:46 -0700, "Warren Aldred" <war...@live.com>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm new to Haskell and looking for recommendations on introductory Haskell
>books. Online or offline. Any suggestions?

Another suggestion is _The Haskell Road to Logic, Maths, and
Programming,_ by Kees Doets and Jan van Eijck (see
http://fldit-www.cs.uni-dortmund.de/~peter/PS07/HR.pdf). This book
assumes very little mathematical background, is written in a "literate
programming" style, and is very easy to follow.

In general, I would recommend focusing on the books, and not too much
on most of the tutorials. Some other readers have said that many
Haskell tutorials try to cover too many topics in too short a
tutorial, and wind up not discussing the material adequately. Haskell
has a very sharp learning curve, and it is essential to cover the
basics adequately before diving into deeper material. I would
recommend taking the time to digest the material fully without
rushing.

-- Benjamin L. Russell

Luke Palmer

Aug 11, 2008, 2:39:08 AM8/11/08
to Benjamin L. Russell, haskel...@haskell.org
On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 4:12 AM, Benjamin L. Russell <DekuDe...@yahoo.com
> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:29:46 -0700, "Warren Aldred" <war...@live.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I'm new to Haskell and looking for recommendations on introductory Haskell
> >books. Online or offline. Any suggestions?
>
> Another suggestion is _The Haskell Road to Logic, Maths, and
> Programming,_ by Kees Doets and Jan van Eijck (see

> http://fldit-www.cs.uni-dortmund.de/~peter/PS07/HR.pdf<http://fldit-www.cs.uni-dortmund.de/%7Epeter/PS07/HR.pdf>).

> This book
> assumes very little mathematical background, is written in a "literate
> programming" style, and is very easy to follow.
>
> In general, I would recommend focusing on the books, and not too much
> on most of the tutorials. Some other readers have said that many
> Haskell tutorials try to cover too many topics in too short a
> tutorial, and wind up not discussing the material adequately. Haskell
> has a very sharp learning curve, and it is essential to cover the
> basics adequately before diving into deeper material.

Depending, of course, on your learning style. I was never very good at the
"dependency-driven" learning style; I have found it easier for me to learn
what I'm interested in. If I don't have the background to understand it yet,
then I'll half-understand it. And gradually everything starts coming
together. To each his own, YMMV, et cetera.

Luke

brian

Aug 12, 2008, 12:38:27 AM8/12/08
to haskel...@haskell.org
On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 1:29 PM, Warren Aldred <war...@live.com> wrote:
> I'm new to Haskell and looking for recommendations on introductory Haskell
> books. Online or offline. Any suggestions?

I like
_Programming in Haskell_ (Hutton)
_The Haskell School of Expression_ (Hudak)
_Real World Haskell_ (Goerzen, O'Sullivan, Stewart)

I'd advise against _The Haskell Road to Logic, Maths, and Programming_
until much later unless you're strongly mathematically inclined.

has...@kudling.de

Aug 12, 2008, 4:50:28 AM8/12/08
to haskel...@haskell.org
Also the Beta Version of "Real World Haskell" looks promising:
http://book.realworldhaskell.org/beta/index.html

Jefferson Heard

Aug 19, 2008, 4:00:49 PM8/19/08
to haskel...@haskell.org
The tutorial has now been updated to what I think will more or less be
the final version. There are now figures where appropriate. The code
has been checked, and I'm sure now that the examples work. Now that
I'm done, I'll repeat the original announcement, and all can enjoy: