Extempore and ableton live

Agustin Ciro Alonzo

May 3, 2015, 9:39:30 PM5/3/15
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, i have a question, how can i connect my laptop running extempore and another laptop with ableton live? Is there a way to do this and have a sync with both computers?
thanks

Jason Levine

May 6, 2015, 3:49:18 PM5/6/15
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Augustin,

It sounds like you want to play an ableton live set and livecode music in sync with it, is that right?

I would suggest connecting your computers with an ethernet cable to have the lowest possible latency.
Then try the osc extempore example and see if you get get ableton to receive those osc events.  Once you can send messages from extempore to ableton, you'll want to set your (metro) object to the same bpm as your live set. Now, trigger the first clip using an extempore event.  From then on it should be pretty in sync.  If it falls out of sync, you might want to periodically send the "1" from extempore to ableton. Does that make sense?

If you want to play ableton instruments with temporal recursions, then osc should be able to do that to, but even better would be if you could send the midi messages generated by (play-note) directly to ableton, making extempore into a mid controller. Maybe someone else could chime in on how that could be executed?

On Sun, May 3, 2015 at 9:39 PM, Agustin Ciro Alonzo <agusti...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all, i have a question, how can i connect my laptop running extempore and another laptop with ableton live? Is there a way to do this and have a sync with both computers?
thanks

Jason Levine
new media performer + creative coder

Agustin Ciro Alonzo

May 7, 2015, 10:03:45 AM5/7/15
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jason thanks for the answer i'm going to try that

Jason Levine

May 16, 2015, 8:32:14 PM5/16/15
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Hey Augustin, here are the OSC addresses for ableton live: https://github.com/q-depot/LiveOSC/blob/master/OSCAPI.txt

Jason Levine
new media performer + creative coder

Al Matthews

May 16, 2015, 8:38:18 PM5/16/15
to extemp...@googlegroups.com

Nice. Thanks.

Antoine van Gelder

Feb 20, 2016, 1:16:53 PM2/20/16
to Extempore
I was getting insane latency offset using the OSC approach so I put together a very basic implementation of the MIDI SYNC protocol instead:

Setup on the Ableton side:

1. create a dedicated IAC MIDI port for Ableton
2. Enable Sync on the IAC MIDI port in Ableton preferences.
3. Click the 'EXT' button in the top-left of the Ableton UI.

 - antoine

On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 2:38:18 AM UTC+2, Al Matthews wrote:

Nice. Thanks.