Help building from source on Ubuntu 16.04

Paul L

Jun 10, 2016, 8:59:28 PM6/10/16
to Extempore
I keep running into the following error when trying to 'sudo make install':

---------------------------------

[ 20%] Linking C static library libportaudio.a
[ 20%] Built target portaudio
[ 27%] Built target LLVM
[ 28%] Linking CXX executable extempore
[ 38%] Built target extempore
[ 46%] Built target apr
[ 47%] Performing download step (download, verify and extract) for 'kiss_fft'
-- downloading...
     src='https://github.com/extemporelang/kiss_fft/archive/master.zip'
     dst='/home/MYHOMEFOLDER/extempore/cmake-build/kiss_fft/src/master.zip'
     timeout='none'
CMake Error at kiss_fft-stamp/download-kiss_fft.cmake:21 (message):
  error: downloading
  'https://github.com/extemporelang/kiss_fft/archive/master.zip' failed

    status_code: 1
    status_string: "Unsupported protocol"
    log: Protocol "https" not supported or disabled in libcurl

  Closing connection -1

CMakeFiles/kiss_fft.dir/build.make:89: recipe for target 'kiss_fft/src/kiss_fft-stamp/kiss_fft-download' failed
make[2]: *** [kiss_fft/src/kiss_fft-stamp/kiss_fft-download] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:1362: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/kiss_fft.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/kiss_fft.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

--------------------------------------

What should I do?

Marcus Urruh

Jun 13, 2016, 9:05:04 AM6/13/16
to Extempore
You could try to replace the quoted https: tag with a simple http: one. Circumventing trying to establish a secure connection to the github server, which a certain program version does not support on your machine. Or try to update libcurl to the latest version.

Ben Swift

Jun 13, 2016, 10:22:42 PM6/13/16
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul

That's weird, I've got an ubuntu 16.04 box here and I've never seen that
issue. Can you tell us what version of CMake you're running?

Cheers,
Ben

Paul L

Jun 13, 2016, 10:58:32 PM6/13/16
to Extempore, b...@benswift.me
Hi Ben,

I'm running Cmake version 3.5.2.

Ben Swift

Jun 13, 2016, 11:39:46 PM6/13/16
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Ok, great. And what's the output of curl --version ?

Paul L <paulll...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Ben,
>
> I'm running Cmake version 3.5.2.
>
> On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 7:22:42 PM UTC-7, Ben Swift wrote:
>>
>> Hi Paul
>>
>> That's weird, I've got an ubuntu 16.04 box here and I've never seen that
>> issue. Can you tell us what version of CMake you're running?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ben

Paul L

Jun 13, 2016, 11:48:12 PM6/13/16
to Extempore, b...@benswift.me
I just realized a mistake on my part. I originally attempted to install Extempore via linuxbrew, but ran into some problems, then decided to build from source. I believe it installed it's own copies of cmake, curl, and openssl. I just got around to removing those now. That may have been why I was receiving this error. I'll post another reply after attempting to compile again.

Ben Swift

Jun 13, 2016, 11:50:13 PM6/13/16
to Paul L, Extempore
Ah, yeah. Is extempore still in linuxbrew? I really should take that
out, I haven't been maintaining that for ages. Thanks for the heads up,
and sorry about the confusion.

Paul L <paulll...@gmail.com> writes:

> I just realized a mistake on my part. I originally attempted to install
> Extempore via linuxbrew, but ran into some problems, then decided to build
> from source. I believe it installed it's own copies of cmake, curl, and
> openssl. I just got around to removing those now. That may have been why I
> was receiving this error. I'll post another reply after attempting to
> compile again.
>
> On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 8:39:46 PM UTC-7, Ben Swift wrote:
>>
>> Ok, great. And what's the output of curl --version ?

Paul L

Jun 14, 2016, 1:11:06 AM6/14/16
to Extempore, paulll...@gmail.com, b...@benswift.me
Yes it is. It compiled correctly after removing those linuxbrew packages. Also, I would suggest including 'sudo make install' in the one-liner build commands. I forked the project and am about to make a pull request. Thanks again for helping me through this problem!