Advantages of Extempore

Daniel Hensel

Nov 12, 2016, 10:07:08 AM11/12/16
to Extempore
Hello Andy and extempore-users,

my name is Daniel Hensel, I am a composer and musicologist. I hope, I don't make a fool out of myself with that request. I worked with Csound, PureData, Supercollider, OpenMusic and did a little in CLM/CM. Because CLM and CM are more or less abandoned I switched back to Sc, but love the LISP-language. However Supercollider got beautiful sounding UGens but I do not really feel comfortable with it.

What would the advantages of extempore be in comparison with Supercollider? I hesitate to learn the next language due to a short amount of time, but  still have not found "the girl I was looking for". Besides, I am more a composer than a programmer but want to do more realtime-stuff in future. So maybe you can convince me to learn it?

All the best,
Daniel

Julian Rohrhuber

Nov 12, 2016, 3:25:34 PM11/12/16
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Extempore, and xtlang in particular are beautiful in their way that they combine the scheme syntax with low level access. Supercollider is a little awkward in the multiple levels of language it has, extempore+xtlang is much more uniform. Of course you have to live with the logically resulting type model, but that may be just fine. Another advantage, or disadvantage, is that the sound interaction and graph building models are still missing, so you could go ahead writing them yourself!
signature.asc

Andrew Sorensen

Nov 13, 2016, 8:34:10 PM11/13/16
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

Julian's answer is spot on, although we might differ a little on the type system - which I see as a plus rather than a necessary evil ;)

In truth there are too many differences between SC and Extempore to answer your question in general terms.  My suggestion, particularly as you are a composer first and foremost, is to stick with SC.  Particularly as you already have some experience with it.  Extempore *may* be a good option for you down the track (post version 1.0), but it is probably not for you at present.  SC is a mature project, with a large community and a *specific* focus on sound.  Extempore is (still) an experimental project, with a small community, and a *general* focus on systems programming.  Until reaching version 1.0 Extempore should be considered a programming languages project first and foremost.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Ben Swift

Nov 13, 2016, 8:44:34 PM11/13/16
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel

It's probably worth giving a shout-out to Overtone as well:

https://github.com/overtone/overtone

It's one of the closer marriages of lisp with the scsynth server going
around, and may be the droid you're looking for.

Cheers,
Ben

Andrew Sorensen <dig...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Julian's answer is spot on, although we might differ a little on the type
> system - which I see as a plus rather than a necessary evil ;)
>
> In truth there are too many differences between SC and Extempore to answer
> your question in general terms. My suggestion, particularly as you are a
> composer first and foremost, is to stick with SC. Particularly as you
> already have some experience with it. Extempore *may* be a good option for
> you down the track (post version 1.0), but it is probably not for you at
> present. SC is a mature project, with a large community and a *specific*
> focus on sound. Extempore is (still) an experimental project, with a small
> community, and a *general* focus on systems programming. Until reaching
> version 1.0 Extempore should be considered a programming languages project
> first and foremost.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew.
>

> On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 6:24 AM, Julian Rohrhuber <
> julian.r...@musikundmedien.net> wrote:
>

>> > On 12.11.2016, at 16:07, 'Daniel Hensel' via Extempore <
>> extemp...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello Andy and extempore-users,
>> >
>> > my name is Daniel Hensel, I am a composer and musicologist. I hope, I
>> don't make a fool out of myself with that request. I worked with Csound,
>> PureData, Supercollider, OpenMusic and did a little in CLM/CM. Because CLM
>> and CM are more or less abandoned I switched back to Sc, but love the
>> LISP-language. However Supercollider got beautiful sounding UGens but I do
>> not really feel comfortable with it.
>> >
>> > What would the advantages of extempore be in comparison with
>> Supercollider? I hesitate to learn the next language due to a short amount
>> of time, but still have not found "the girl I was looking for". Besides, I
>> am more a composer than a programmer but want to do more realtime-stuff in
>> future. So maybe you can convince me to learn it?
>>

>> Extempore, and xtlang in particular are beautiful in their way that they
>> combine the scheme syntax with low level access. Supercollider is a little
>> awkward in the multiple levels of language it has, extempore+xtlang is much
>> more uniform. Of course you have to live with the logically resulting type
>> model, but that may be just fine. Another advantage, or disadvantage, is
>> that the sound interaction and graph building models are still missing, so
>> you could go ahead writing them yourself!

Daniel Hensel

Nov 14, 2016, 7:46:20 AM11/14/16
to Extempore
Dear Andy, Julian and Ben,

thank you very much for your replies and suggestions!

All the best,
Daniel