Moving docs to github?

Michele Pasin

Aug 20, 2015, 8:56:57 AM8/20/15
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
**just an idea**

was wondering how'd people feel about moving the (pretty good) docs hosted at http://benswift.me/extempore-docs/ to Github pages.

Advantages:
> easier to update / check how up to date they are
> community contributions: tutorials and guides could be done by anyone and then pulled into the main project
> relieves Ben of some work (I assume he is taking care of the docs at the moment!)
> downloadable and easier to interlink with code

Github Pages can be simply set up by

1) adding new 'gh-pages' branch to an existing github project
2) adding an index.html file (and so on)

The official guide is here: https://pages.github.com/

Ben Swift

Aug 25, 2015, 4:09:18 AM8/25/15
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michele

It's not a bad idea - in fact, it's a good one. No-one would be happier
about finding ways for others to pitch in with the docs than me :)

The main barrier is the fact that the syntax highlighting (which is
obviously crucial for intelligibility) currently comes from the Emacs
extempore-mode, which is then baked into the CSS during a bespoke (read:
hacked-together) site generation process for my blog.

I think the best solution to this problem is to teach linguist[0],
GitHub's language parser/syntax highliting engine about xtlang. That
way, xtlang code would get rendered nicely on a GH wiki, and we could
also (I think) use the linguist parser to do syntax-highlighting
wherever else we wanted it.

The best way to get *that* happening is probably to modify the Scheme
language support. I think linguist can understand tmbundles (TextMate
bundles), so looking at the Sublime Text extempore mode might be useful
as well.

I don't have the time to look into that at the moment, but I'm happy to
provide tips/support if anyone from the community is keen to dive in and
have a go.

I'm also open to other ideas about the "syntax-highlighting xtlang on
the web" problem (e.g. an atom or Jupyter plugin pretty please!), but
those are my initial thoughts.

Cheers,
Ben

[0] https://github.com/github/linguist - Pygments would be another
option, but GH have moved away from that it seems.