Installing On remote server and cross platform use

Jeff Ali

Mar 5, 2017, 2:24:48 AM3/5/17
to Extempore
I'd like to install Extempore on the most economical remote, web accessible server as possible and then remotely access the server to code new compositions. While I'm actively coding as well as when I'm idle, I'd like to be able to leave the server running and allow other people to listen to the audio stream, and even possibly allow others to contribute to the compositions code. My first question revolves around the minimum resources I'd need on the remote server to get a proper install running. Would shared hosting be possible, virtual private server, full dedicated server? Next, what would be the most straighfoward setup to allow other people to listen to the steam via the web?

I'd probably want a fully local version that mirrors the remote server as closely as possible in terms of sound so I could code locally and experiement as I learn and paste the working compositon to the server. I'm thinking of code that embraces both the live coding elements and also generative concepts, where once I set it in motion the sounds continue to evolve and create interest that isn't simply static.

Andrew Sorensen

Mar 5, 2017, 6:51:35 PM3/5/17
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
The only thing that is likely to trip you up on hosted servers is a decent sound card/driver combination.  This means (a) the physical/virtual server needs a sound device of some kind and (b) you almost certainly need the ability to install drivers and/or change operating system configuration for low-latency audio.  We have been running Extempore very successfully on both Amazon and Google clusters - although not for sound.

I'm probably not the best person to ask about streaming sound from Extempore (as i've never tried), but if I were to set about such a thing then I'd be looking at gstreamer, probably running as a lib directly in Extempore.

Cheers,
Andrew.