Struggling to set up extempore along with emacs.

Jacques Kovacs

May 30, 2016, 11:28:53 AM5/30/16
to Extempore
In the extempore blog it instructs one to

"As a new Emacs user, you won't have a .emacs yet, but if you want a bit of help getting started you can use the one in the extras directory. To use it to get started, there are two things to do:
  1. copy extras/.emacs into your home directory
  2. change the extempore-path variable to point to your Extempore source directory."

I do not know how to do number 2. It says a similar thing inside the .emacs file:

";; You'll also need to change the `extempore-share-directory' variable
;; (further down in this file) to point to your Extempore source
;; directory."

I can't find this variable.

I also would like to know how to start Extempore with the "--term ansi" when using emacs shell (I start emacs with runemacs.exe).
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have done some python and Java programming but not much so I am quite new, but when I saw this software being performed I had to learn myself.

Gratitude in advance.

Tim Roberts

May 30, 2016, 11:53:36 AM5/30/16
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
This is something that I had a look at doing when I was first starting out about 3 months ago.  I decided to go with Atom instead that way I was only learning 1 thing at a time.

There are a couple of small issues with the Atom Extempore plugin to do with the way brackets in comments are handled, but I've found it to quite good on the whole and easy to get started with.

If a more in depth "how to" guide for emacs is available I might have to migrate across now that I understand the language.

Circu Virtu

May 31, 2016, 1:26:30 PM5/31/16
to Extempore
Guess this refers to some older documentation. The new instructions can be found at
http://digego.github.io/extempore/editor-support.html