Spring 2016 Lisp Game Jam - how to package a binary?

Robert Herman

Apr 6, 2016, 2:31:52 AM4/6/16
to Extempore
FYI - the Lips Game Jam next takes place in about 3 weeks!

I would love to use Extempore, so I can continue to learn it, but the issue is how to distribute a binary or show it other than a video. I can include a README and the xtlang source, but is there a way to have somebody run it without Extempore installed in some manner?

Thanks!

Rob

Robert Herman

Apr 6, 2016, 2:32:17 AM4/6/16
to Extempore

Andrew Sorensen

Apr 6, 2016, 2:44:29 AM4/6/16
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Not easily at the moment I'm afraid.

It really isn't much work to have Extempore build a stand-alone executable (xtlang).  I have a plan, I'm afraid that I just haven't gotten around to it.  Yet one more thing on the post PhD list ;)

Robert Herman

Apr 6, 2016, 7:33:54 AM4/6/16
to Extempore
You are very productive nonetheless!

It's not a requirement; I can include the xtlang source and tell people to install Extempore if they want to run it. The only problem is how difficult it is for a user to install/build Extempore to see the fruits of my labor. I realize it is a livecoding environment, but for the installation stuff you have done, do you just run it off of a running Extempore instance?

Thanks!

Rob

Andrew Sorensen

Apr 6, 2016, 8:04:49 AM4/6/16
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
$ extempore --run /path/to/file.xtm.

This doesn't get around the 'installing extempore' problem, but once installed it's easy enough for anyone to run an extempore 'program'.  You can even hide these 'gruesome details' with a wrapper - shell script, batch file, etc..

Another option is the image/container path.  This works well, although you'll be shipping around large (potentially very large) files.  Docker is a good option, but you'll still need a relatively savvy end user.

Ultimately, for installation work, generating standalone executables is definitely going to happen - just not sure when.

Robert Herman

Apr 7, 2016, 8:33:48 AM4/7/16
to Extempore
Never really been an issue for me except for showcasing works other than recording yourself. In due time. I still need to master xtlang, and get on with some mad livecoding! Are you going to do more video/graphics demonstrations? I used to use Max/PD/fluxus for visuals, but was hoping to mask my lack of musical talent with some supreme graphic distractions ;)

Jason Levine

Apr 7, 2016, 10:19:05 AM4/7/16
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Robert! The point of livecoding is that musical talent is not necessary!  Simply reverse engineer the rhythms and harmonies of your favorite artists and translate those abstract concepts into Extempore ;)
Jason Levine
new media performer + creative coder

Robert Herman

Apr 11, 2016, 8:30:45 AM4/11/16
to Extempore
Funny, but actually I would have never have learned as much about music if I didn't do exactly what you just said: try and imitate others, like Andrew! My brother was playing guitar at age 9 in 1974, which was more rare then than now. I was busy with my microscope and telescope until I bought a Commodore PET in 1979! Now, I am hoping to show him up at my keyboard ;)
Extempore is tough for a novice. I program, but I find CM with the Grace.exe to be easier to gain some basic music coding concepts with Taube's book open on my PC next to me. I am always in the Lisp world thought, CM, Extempore, and LFE (but no music on that, mainly neural networks to leverage the BEAM/OTP and learn that!).
I lied, I did venture into Tidal a bit like a kid on Ritalin!

Rob