Live-coding music with a Deep Neural Network

Circu Virtu

Feb 6, 2017, 1:01:26 PM2/6/17
to Extempore
Hi,

did some first tests live-coding with a deep neural network
from Google Magenta project ( https://magenta.tensorflow.org/ )
using MIDI control from Extempore

Short version:

https://youtu.be/rEeY5x8xAZg

Longer version (with setup etc.)

https://youtu.be/6ekNzbftZcQ

Cheers
--cv

Ben Swift

Feb 6, 2017, 6:17:23 PM2/6/17
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Cool :)

If you ever write a blog post or something with more info on how it
works, let us know.

Cheers
Ben

Circu Virtu

Feb 8, 2017, 5:48:23 AM2/8/17
to Extempore
Here as bit more detailed explanation:

For a good intro into the Magenta project watch this recent TEDx talk:

What I did is mainly using stuff from the NIPS 2106 demo of Magenta:

https://magenta.tensorflow.org/2016/12/16/nips-demo/

They use an Ableton Live / MaxMSP interface there.
Instead I used extempore to do all the interfacing. Which is just sending MIDI notes and Midi CC messages.
Let me know if you have any further questions and I will try to answer.

Cheers,
--cv

Ben Swift

Feb 8, 2017, 5:00:39 PM2/8/17
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Great, thanks mate. When I emerge from the current mountain of stuff I'm
buried under, I'll have a look.

Ben