Flailing beginner

Olle Romo

Apr 30, 2017, 3:00:53 AM4/30/17
to Extempore
Hi,
I'm trying to get some examples running and I'm not having much luck. I'm on a macbook pro running 10.12.4 and I built as per the github repo instructions. That all looked good - I can run extempore and connect to it from emacs.

I have been trying the examples in the extempore/examples/core folder and so far not much luck. I get errors like "eval: unbound variable: bind-instrument" which looks to me like there's something wrong with my install. Other examples segfault or complain about missing libraries.

So I figured I'd try to install with homebrew. Followed the instructions in the docs but got

% brew update

% brew tap benswift/extempore && brew tap homebrew/versions

==> Tapping benswift/extempore

Cloning into '/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/benswift/homebrew-extempore'...

remote: Counting objects: 11, done.

remote: Total 11 (delta 0), reused 4 (delta 0), pack-reused 0

Unpacking objects: 100% (11/11), done.

Error: Invalid formula: /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/benswift/homebrew-extempore/extempore-llvm341.rb

Calling Formula.sha1 is disabled!

Use Formula.sha256 instead.

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/benswift/homebrew-extempore/extempore-llvm341.rb:6:in `<class:ExtemporeLlvm341>'

Please report this to the benswift/extempore tap!

Error: Cannot tap benswift/extempore: invalid syntax in tap!

Extempore looks fantastic and I'm really keen to get my hands on it. Any pointers or suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Thanx in advance!

Bestest,

Olle

Andrew Sorensen

May 3, 2017, 8:14:05 PM5/3/17
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Olle,

I'm afraid that the brew install path is no longer actively maintained.  Our recommendation is to either build from src (from HEAD), or to run a binary image.  Both of these options are outlined in brief on the projects github page.

Sorry for messing you around with brew :(

If you're still having trouble after downloading/building please let us know!

Cheers,
Andrew.