Modal Jazz Screencast

digego

Sep 21, 2017, 10:43:02 PM9/21/17
to Extempore
It has been years since I recorded a dedicated screencast 'performance'.  Patrick gave me an incentive to throw this one together yesterday.

"Five over Four" is a short little modal jazz performance.

Made me nostalgic for 2007 when I was pumping these things out at a rate of knots :)

Ben Swift

Sep 22, 2017, 1:12:37 AM9/22/17
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Nice one Andy :) It's been a *long* time between screencast drinks for
me too - I should rectify that :)

Cheers
Ben

Jason Levine

Sep 22, 2017, 11:54:43 PM9/22/17
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
great sax work!

Jason Levine
new media performer + creative coder

Circu Virtu

Sep 28, 2017, 1:28:56 PM9/28/17
to Extempore
Great to see you making some cool music with extempore again.
I tried this at home but getting some error:

stack-catch: ()
stack-catch: ()
stack-catch: ()
eval: unbound variable: take

when trying the following codem from your performance:

(define f2
  (lambda (beat notes dur)
    (if (> (random) 0.7)
    (mplayp *scale*
       dur 0 *midi-out* (random '(0 0 -12))
        notes
        (cosr 80 40 2)
        (+ .1 (/ dur (length notes)))
        3 0.7))
    (callback (*metro* (+ beat (* .5 dur))) 'f2 (+ beat dur)
              (take (random 1 7)
                    (rotate `(60 63 67 ,(random '(72 74 75)) 70 58)
                            (* -1 (random 6))))
              (random '(1 2)))))

(f2 (*metro* 'get-beat 4) `(60 63 67 ,(random '(72 74 75)) 70 58) 2)

I'm on WIn7, Extempore 0.7.5.2

Any idea?

--cv

Andrew Sorensen

Sep 28, 2017, 7:09:44 PM9/28/17
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mate,

You can define take like so:

(define take
  (lambda (num lst)
    (if (<= num 0) '()
        (cons (car lst) (take (- num 1) (cdr lst))))))

Cheers,
Andrew.

Circu Virtu

Sep 29, 2017, 10:22:30 AM9/29/17
to Extempore
Tnx a lot.
I found a xtlang function for 'take' in libs/core/adt.xtm.
I guess that is loaded by default.
Why is there not the default Scheme wrapper function for that 'take'   ?

Right now I'm using Midi and NI Kontakt Library for the sounds.
Is there an easy way to get samples from Kontakt into the sample player in Extempore
like you used in your performance?

Cheers,

--cv
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to extemporelan...@googlegroups.com.

Andrew Sorensen

Sep 29, 2017, 8:51:40 PM9/29/17
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
It's usually not too difficult to pull raw samples from kontakt, which is what I generally do :)

Ben Swift

Oct 2, 2017, 5:43:18 PM10/2/17
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
I use Kontakt samples in the Extempore sampler as well.

In case you wanted a few more details, here's the process:

1. find the sample audio files (directories of wav files in your NI
sample directory, wherever that might be)

2. figure out which files map to which pitches (usually this will be
encoded in the filename somehow, although there's usually no
consistency, even between different Kontakt sample libs)

3. create an extempore sampler instrument

4. load the samples into your new sampler instrument
(examples/external/sampler.xtm has some example code for this)

5. ???

6. profit!

Cheers
Ben

C K Kashyap

Oct 2, 2017, 6:04:18 PM10/2/17
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Smooth!

thedigitalDog 303

Oct 4, 2017, 3:32:17 PM10/4/17
to Extempore
You can also smoothly convert any .ncw kontakt files to wav files :
https://www.strezov-sampling.com/article/Hints%20And%20Tips%205:%20Converting%20NCW%20files%20to%20WAV.html
All the best,

Yann