sound engine crashing with high notes

Michele Pasin

Oct 1, 2015, 1:35:34 PM10/1/15
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've finally bit the bullet and started moving my old impromptu code to extempore (better late than never I guess!). So apologies in advance if I missed the explanation for the following elsewhere..

Anyways, here's my question: my sound engine constantly crashes if I try to play a pitch higher than 120 using the default 'fmsynth' instrument...

eg:

(sys:load "libs/core/instruments.xtm")
(sys:load "libs/core/pc_ivl.xtm")

(bind-instrument fmsynth fmsynth_note_c fmsynth_fx)
(bind-instrument fmpad fmpad_note_c fmpad_fx)

(bind-func dsp:DSP
  (lambda (in time chan dat)
    (cond ((< chan 2.0)
           (+ (* 1.0 (fmsynth in time chan dat))
              (* 1.0 (fmpad in time chan dat))))
          (else 0.0))))

(dsp:set! dsp)

(play-note (now) fmsynth 120 80 44100) ;; bye bye sound engine!

Is there any reason for that?  How to prevent it from happening? does it apply to all instruments?

..also, just double checking.. Impromptu had a lovely function sys:livecoding-error-hook? which was quite handy especially in live situations... I gather that that hasn't made it to extempore right?

many thanks in advance,
mik

ps
I'm on OSx Yosemite, 10.10.4

Andrew Sorensen

Oct 1, 2015, 10:27:53 PM10/1/15
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michele,

This is the same issue that Jason was having - it is discussed more fully in this thread ... (i've also forwarded you the most relevant section):  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/extemporelang/U4TvH8s2new

'Fix' (some sensible limits on fmsynth) on the way in the new release.  This problem primarily applies to the fmsynth.

Glad to see you making the move!  It's nice to have some 'old school' Impromptu users around :)  Just yell out whenever you need help - also don't forget the IRC channel - which we try to populate during Australian weekdays (aussie work hours) as much as possible.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Michele Pasin

Oct 2, 2015, 8:04:15 AM10/2/15
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
thanks!.. I was quite sure the explanation was already available somewhere :-)

..also, just double checking.. Impromptu had a lovely function sys:livecoding-error-hook? which was quite handy especially in live situations... I gather that that hasn't made it to extempore right?

Guess the answer to that is no....

ps: will use on the IRC channel for more detailed questions

all best, m

--------
Michele Pasin
--------