API Docs for Extempore

Cian O'Connor

Oct 14, 2017, 10:32:29 AM10/14/17
to Extempore
Currently there don't seem to be any API docs for Extempore. I'd like to try and at least make a start at documenting them. Has there been any thought previously about this. In particular:
  • Automatic generation tools (currently some of the library code seems to use things like @param which is a JavaDoc convention)?
  • Preferred documentation tool (Sphinx?)
  • Organization/Arrangement?

Ben Swift

Oct 15, 2017, 5:36:13 PM10/15/17
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cian

Thanks for asking. Yes, it'd be *awesome* if Extempore had better API
docs.

As well as the sphinx docs in `docs/`, Pete Davis and I did actually do
some work a while on a searchable API doc website (which is what the
@param annotations are for). I'm not sure what state that's in right
now, but I'll check and get back to you asap.

There are a few different needs for Extempore docs at the moment:

1. keeping the sphinx docs (which power <http://digego.github.io/extempore/>) up-to-date
2. adding longer-form "guides" for the new user trying to do various things
3. searchable, (reasonably) comprehensive API docs for the stdlib at least (this is the thing I mentioned above)
4. adding docs for *new* functionality which isn't documented anywhere

point 4 is probably best left to Andy and I at the moment, but there's
certainly potential for doing the other ones, depending on what you're
most interested in/familiar with.

Cheers,
Ben

Cian O'Connor <cian.o...@gmail.com> writes:

> Currently there don't seem to be any API docs for Extempore. I'd like to
> try and at least make a start at documenting them. Has there been any
> thought previously about this. In particular:
>
> - Automatic generation tools (currently some of the library code seems
> to use things like @param which is a JavaDoc convention)?
> - Preferred documentation tool (Sphinx?)
> - Organization/Arrangement?

Cian

Oct 16, 2017, 8:43:44 AM10/16/17
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Cool. For the moment I'll focus on 2 and 3. Let me know about the API website.

Thanks,
Cian

Cian

Oct 16, 2017, 11:16:24 AM10/16/17
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Actually having thought about this a little bit more, I may begin by updating the Sphinx documents. That seems like a good place to start.

Ben Swift

Oct 16, 2017, 5:57:13 PM10/16/17
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I think that's a good plan.

If you like, we can chat off-list (or skype or whatever) and I can give
you more details about what the low-hanging fruit is.

Cheers
Ben
>>> email to extemporelan...@googlegroups.com.

Michele Pasin

Dec 11, 2017, 9:21:27 AM12/11/17
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
some time ago I created this for my own benefit mostly http://hacks.michelepasin.org/extempore/

it's probably outdated and definitely a hack but just flagging this up in case any of you speaks Python/Django :-)

Cheers,
Michele