"eval: unbound variable: beat" when running a tutorial example.

Dylan Evans

Nov 29, 2015, 7:25:58 PM11/29/15
to Extempore
Hi,

I just started looking at Extempore and was looking at Ben Swift's tutorials. I was trying to run this example:

;; load the synth
(sys:load "libs/core/instruments.xtm")

;; define a synth using the provided components
;; synth_note_c and synth_fx
(define-instrument synth synth_note_c synth_fx)

;; add the instrument to the DSP output callback
(bind-func dsp:DSP

(lambda (in time chan dat)

(synth in time chan dat)))
(dsp:set! dsp)

;; schedule 3 notes to play in succession
(define play-seq

(lambda ()

(play note (now) synth 60 80 10000)

(play note (+ (now) 22050) synth 64 80 10000)

(play note (+ (now) 44100) synth 67 80 10000)))

;; play
(play-seq)

however I have the error "eval: unbound variable: beat" when I try to run it. As far as I can tell everything except the last line is handled fine i.e. I can send the blocks without error. Could anyone give me a hand with fixing this?

Cheers.

Fabien

Nov 29, 2015, 7:41:46 PM11/29/15
to Extempore
Hi Dylan,

Try replacing "play note" with "play-note".

Dylan Evans

Nov 29, 2015, 7:44:56 PM11/29/15
to Extempore
Oh for the love of God! Thank you!