Extempore instantly crashes on Windows 10 (64-bit)

beatthe...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2016, 4:44:47 AM6/13/16
to Extempore

Hi! I am really interested in trying Extempore, but sadly I haven't gotten it to start at all; using the precompiled binary for windows 10 (and 7 also), it crashes instantly as soon as I run Extempore.exe. It doesn't really give any feedback, but I included a screenshot of what it looks like when this happens here:

I would really appreciate some help figuring this out; I sadly don't know much about compiling, or else I'd try doing that myself. I just really wanna try this thing out!

Let me know if there's any more details/logs I could provide from anywhere :)

~Allie

Ben Swift

Jun 13, 2016, 10:20:57 PM6/13/16
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Allie

Hmm, that's no good that it's crashing. I'll try and put together a new
binary for you to try. Can you tell us a little more about your
computer?

http://www.howtogeek.com/196893/how-to-open-the-system-information-panel-on-windows-8/

Cheers,
Ben

beatthe...@gmail.com writes:

> Hi! I am really interested in trying Extempore, but sadly I haven't gotten
> it to start at all; using the precompiled binary for windows 10 (and 7
> also), it crashes instantly as soon as I run Extempore.exe. It doesn't
> really give any feedback, but I included a screenshot of what it looks like
> when this happens here:
>

> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4hPa9yy3g9A/V15x8cdR-JI/AAAAAAAAAbc/j38pfukVlh4FM3kojWk_1exLXKraDFChACLcB/s1600/Untitled.png>
>

> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4hPa9yy3g9A/V15x8cdR-JI/AAAAAAAAAbc/j38pfukVlh4FM3kojWk_1exLXKraDFChACLcB/s1600/Untitled.png>

beatthe...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2016, 5:18:00 AM6/14/16
to Extempore, b...@benswift.me
Thanks for the quick response! I built my computer myself, so it isn't of any particular make. It's using a gtx 760 and an i5 4570, with 64 bit windows 10 as I mentioned.

Not sure which info you need, but here are a couple spec overviews from msinfo and Speccy. Let me know if there's something more you need to know!

Pics:

Andrew Sorensen

Jun 14, 2016, 7:43:22 AM6/14/16
to extemp...@googlegroups.com, beatthe...@gmail.com, b...@benswift.me
What does running

$ extempore.exe --print-devices

show in the log?

beatthe...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2016, 1:40:53 AM6/15/16
to Extempore, beatthe...@gmail.com, b...@benswift.me
It just crashes instantly, without printing anything to the terminal. Not sure what's up with that :(

beatthe...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2016, 9:59:52 AM6/20/16
to Extempore, beatthe...@gmail.com, b...@benswift.me
Any update on this? Sorry, I'm a bit eager to try, hehe :)

Ben Swift

Jun 20, 2016, 7:10:46 PM6/20/16
to beatthe...@gmail.com, Extempore
Hi Allie

Sorry about the delayed reply.

I was talking with Andy about this issue the other day and the one other
thing to try would be running Extempore with the --noaudio flag, so

$ extempore.exe --noaudio

We *think* there's something going wrong with the audio initialisation
code (I assume that playing other audio/video files works fine on your
box) so this might help.

Cheers,
Ben

beatthe...@gmail.com writes:

> Any update on this? Sorry, I'm a bit eager to try, hehe :)
>
> On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 1:40:53 AM UTC-4, beatthe...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> It just crashes instantly, without printing anything to the terminal. Not
>> sure what's up with that :(
>>
>> On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 7:43:22 AM UTC-4, digego wrote:
>>>
>>> What does running
>>>
>>> $ extempore.exe --print-devices
>>>
>>> show in the log?

beatthe...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2016, 11:02:26 PM6/20/16
to Extempore, beatthe...@gmail.com, b...@benswift.me
Well, it actually output text without crashing this time, but I don't think the text will be very enlightening:

D:\Music Making\# Livecoding\Extempore-0.7.0-win10\extempore>extempore.exe --noaudio

Jun 21, 2016, 2:11:35 AM6/21/16
to extemp...@googlegroups.com, beatthe...@gmail.com, Ben Swift
Yes, sorry, I forgot this was a UNIX only option.  If I can find some time I'll try to send you a debug build.

beatthe...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2016, 4:31:37 PM6/21/16
to Extempore, beatthe...@gmail.com, b...@benswift.me
I would appreciate that very much; thanks for all of your help! :)