Live-coding Fratres

Circu Virtu

Jun 3, 2015, 12:36:12 PM6/3/15
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Did some live performance of Arvo Pärt's Fratres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREUs9HiCDw

It's mainly based on the analysis of the piece by Linus Akesson
http://www.linusakesson.net/music/fratres/
and Tim Smith (who's analysis is unfortunately no longer available online)
This version relates to the perfomance for strings and percussion.
Inspiration comes from some previous work done by Fabia Bertram:
Learning Elementary Musical Programming with Extempore: Translating Arvo Pärt's Fratres into Live Code Snippets

http://ojs.gold.ac.uk/index.php/sysmus14/article/view/223
I used Midi to control NI Kontakt factory library.
For this performance again I used mainly pre-coded functions and just change a few parameters.

Enjoy

Andrew Sorensen

Jun 3, 2015, 7:45:36 PM6/3/15
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Cool. I'm such a huge Pärt fanboy :)

I thought you did a pretty good job with the sample libraries - I know what a challenge sample libraries can be.
I just wonder if you might have avoided some of the "artificial" pulsyness (my made up word of the day) by playing with the attack and release times in Kontact?

I'd also be really interested to hear what Fratres with the fmsynth might sound like - Pärt meets Vangelis - probably awful but I'd be interested to hear it :)

Circu Virtu

Jun 4, 2015, 10:36:30 AM6/4/15
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Tnx for the feedback. I will have a look at improving the sounds from Kontakt.
Just was so happy  getting the code and a performance without mistakes,
I've missed looking at the sound in more detail.

Now with the basics ready it is indeed a challenge to be more creative with sounds
and other parameters.
For those of you who want to play around as well I've put the code on Git:

Improve, modify, have fun :)