Instruments

digego

Nov 9, 2016, 7:14:29 PM11/9/16
to Extempore
Hi All,

I have a change that I want to make to the instrument infrastructure.  Unfortunately this will break all existing instruments :(  I'll patch instruments.xtm and instruments_ext.xtm, however I just wanted to check that some of you don't have secret stashes of extempore instruments that I don't know about ;)

If you have a pile of instruments that you are worried about (I don't expect this is the case), then let me know in the next couple of days and we can discuss a transition strategy.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Ben Swift

Nov 9, 2016, 9:24:11 PM11/9/16
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andy

Break all the things! I'll manage.

Cheers,
Ben

Johann Bestowrous

Nov 11, 2016, 12:36:09 PM11/11/16
to Extempore
No qualms here! Would love to hear your rationale for the changes :)

Andrew Sorensen

Nov 13, 2016, 8:13:50 PM11/13/16
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
The primary motivation is that an instrument currently requires that each new note know its duration at initialisation time.  This works perfectly well for play-note, play etc, but falls over when you want to be able to separate a note's start-time from its end-time (e.g. midi on-off).  That's the primary motivation, but I'm going to use this as an excuse to introduce a bunch of other changes/conventions at the same time.  The end result will be that instruments will be *slightly* more complicated to construct, but much more flexible.

Toby Gifford

Nov 13, 2016, 8:16:41 PM11/13/16
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
excellent plan